Faux Waterhen Bloa

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Faux Waterhen Bloa

Post by tie2fish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:19 am

tie2fish wrote:
William Anderson wrote:Bill that hackle is a nice one to have. How are the sizes compared to waterhen? What size did you tie this on...given the proportions of that hook.
Aye, there's the rub. I used a neck feather for this fly because the dark edging is more pronounced, and it's some bigger than coverts from a waterhen. The hook is a #12 Daiichi 1640, which looks smaller than most 12's because of the short shank. However, the upper wing coverts on the quail are roughly the same size as those on waterhen, so you could tie down to a #16 if you wished.

Just for comparison, William, here's one tied with a Gambel's Quail upper covert on a Daiichi 1530 Size #16 ...

Last edited by tie2fish on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 pm

Bring it with you to Roscoe, I would like to see it.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Bill - Yeah, bring it with you to Roscoe...I'd like to steal it. :D

William - You distract Bill while I am looking over his fly box... :twisted:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:47 pm

letumgo wrote:Bill - Yeah, bring it with you to Roscoe...I'd like to steal it. :D

William - You distract Bill while I am looking over his fly box... :twisted:

:lol: :lol: I think he meant the quail skin, Ray, but I'll save this fly just for you. Unless you meant the whole skin too, in which case I'l never get any fishing done up there ... too busy watching the goodies ;) .
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"