MP3V

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

MP3V

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:22 am

At times trout too just want some basic Meat, Potatoes and 3 Veg...

MP3V (Meat, Potatoes and 3 Veg)
Hook: Kamasan B175 #16
Thread: Benecchi 12/0, grey
Hackle: Hen,mousy dun
Rib: Uno-thread 6/0, brown - twisted tight
Body: Muskrat underfur - in split thread

Note: Body teased out with a velcro dubbing teaser

Cheers,
Hans W
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: MP3V

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:01 am

Ah, it is hard to beat good old home cooking. Wink.

Gorgeous fly. Simple and elegant.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:01 am

Hans, Ray and others, I was fooling around with some scruffy bodies using different dubbings, but one was long stapled mole, (doesn't matter) but I'm wondering what you find will get you the results you're looking for best.

Tie in the loop or split thread (dubbed), brush it out or scrub it up, then wrap the rib. (seems to be the case here)
Tie in the loop or split thread (dubbed), bring up the rib, then brush it out or scrub it. (similar but different result)
Tie in the loop or split thread (dubbed), a light scrub to loosen things up, bring up the rib, then give it a finish scrub to get the scruff factor you're looking for.

I don't often use this technique, but sometimes it makes a lot of sense, and I need to practice a few methods. Just curious as to some of the preferences.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 am

William Anderson wrote:Hans, Ray and others, I was fooling around with some scruffy bodies using different dubbings, but one was long stapled mole, (doesn't matter) but I'm wondering what you find will get you the results you're looking for best.

Tie in the loop or split thread (dubbed), brush it out or scrub it up, then wrap the rib. (seems to be the case here)
Tie in the loop or split thread (dubbed), bring up the rib, then brush it out or scrub it. (similar but different result)
Tie in the loop or split thread (dubbed), a light scrub to loosen things up, bring up the rib, then give it a finish scrub to get the scruff factor you're looking for.

I don't often use this technique, but sometimes it makes a lot of sense, and I need to practice a few methods. Just curious as to some of the preferences.

w
William,

The short answer from me is: depends on the look&feel I am after. I select the texture of dubbing and then do whatever needs doing.

I could have used mole, but opted for the (much) longer staple muskrat underfur.

For the MP3V - insert the well-teased-out dubbing, spin, wrap (stroking backwards the body as I go along when needed), wrap rib, complete hackle and pattern. Finally brush with the velcro teaser.

Cheers,
Hans W
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 pm

BRILLIANT thread and fly tying.........William, your series of questions is so delightful.........shows how insightful you are. And the way Hans answers you, is just so equally brilliant & delightful. i sure hope this site lives on for many many years to come. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com