Gold Ghost

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

gingerdun

Gold Ghost

Post by gingerdun » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Couldn't let the weekend go by without posting something.

Hook—#12 Grip 14723
Thread—Gold Pearsall's Gosssamer silk
Hackle—Partridge
Tail—Lemon wood duck
Body—tying silk
Thorax—Natural seal + hare's cheek spun on white silk

DNicolson

Re: Gold Ghost

Post by DNicolson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:28 am

A very nice looking fly, those Grip hooks look good to.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:51 am

In the fresh light of morning I realized that this fly needs a lot of work.
Here is take two. Still needs another shot with one less wrap of the partridge.

gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:20 am

OK, here's my third attempt. This time the hackle twisted so the barbs are curving toward the eye. Not what I intended, but maybe not so bad. This is what happens when I stop practicing.

William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:06 am

GD, these are just wonderful. Beautiful combination of materials. Glad to see you found some seal to work with. I used the same blend in making up a batch of Tups blended with the edge of a hare's mask. Jim had mentioned the binding quality and profile you get adding something like a fine underful to the seal. Belated PM sent on sourcing.

These are fantastic. The only issue I have with the Grip hooks, of which I am ordering a load of, is the very dark finish. It's more elegant and has a better finish than the Daiichi, not to mention what I think we all appreciate about the proportions, but to my eye, it takes on a more significant role when used on a light fly, especially one with as many translucent and subtle materials as you've assembled here. Not better or worse, just plays a factor, when the silk is wet and the seal is gleaming. When it's a design feature, it can be powerful, but there are times when a lighter finish on a hook makes sense. Just a random comment. I can't wait to get some more Grip hooks in my bag as well.

Great set.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:10 am

GD, normally I would say good job at the first attempt (it really is good), but the third attempt really stands out. Excellent job sir!
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 am

The only issue I have with the Grip hooks, of which I am ordering a load of, is the very dark finish. It's more elegant and has a better finish than the Daiichi, not to mention what I think we all appreciate about the proportions, but to my eye, it takes on a more significant role when used on a light fly, especially one with as many translucent and subtle materials as you've assembled here.
William, you must be a mind reader. Last night I ordered some lighter-finish Kamasan hooks for precisely this reason.
Thanks to you and Wayne for your kind comments on my struggles. I wish I had more time for tying—it is so absorbing, for so many reasons.
Lance
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Lance, I love the fly. The second one was an improvement. Great use of materials. A definite winner for me! :D