Lemon Sally Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DNicolson

Re: Lemon Sally Flymph

Post by DNicolson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:06 am

Thank you Lance, could not find it in my version of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary,
damned thing must be too 'concise'.
I had made a reasonable supposition of the meaning, but the OECD led me astray. :?
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 am

Donald, Howdy;

Sometimes it's better to be more 'reasonable'
then consise .....
Well, someone must have said that somewhere, sometime .... :?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:37 am

Hans,
Returning to the subject at hand, your hackle here is wound several times over the thorax. Would this put it into the category of a thorax flymph? I'm not precisely sure what the term encompasses, but as I understand it, it simply means a kind of semi-palmer, going over about one-third of the shank in the thorax region. Is that right? Did you tie it in tip-first, mid shank, and wind it toward the eye, over the dubbing? Again, this is a beautiful fly. I love the pale, glassy quality of it, with those hackle barbs that are bushier near the stem. Your eye for materials is wonderful.

This is considerably more hackle than you typically use. It appears to be four winds. Would you be willing to say anything about your streamside experience with different amounts of hackle?

Lance
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:59 pm

gingerdun wrote:Hans,
Returning to the subject at hand, your hackle here is wound several times over the thorax. Would this put it into the category of a thorax flymph? I'm not precisely sure what the term encompasses, but as I understand it, it simply means a kind of semi-palmer, going over about one-third of the shank in the thorax region. Is that right? Did you tie it in tip-first, mid shank, and wind it toward the eye, over the dubbing? Again, this is a beautiful fly. I love the pale, glassy quality of it, with those hackle barbs that are bushier near the stem. Your eye for materials is wonderful.
Lance,

Tied in, by the butt, as the first material and just back of the eye. Two touching turns and then open spiral one third into shank towards the waiting thread. Trap tip, cut through to eye and whip finish.
This is considerably more hackle than you typically use. It appears to be four winds. Would you be willing to say anything about your streamside experience with different amounts of hackle?
Certainly. Mark L asked me the same question when I posted the MBA (March Brown Alternative). For traditional in-or-just-under-film dead drift I use very lightly dressed patterns. For deeper, often actively fished, patterns I beef up the hackle and rely more on hackle pulsating in the current as I manipulate the pattern.

Cheers,
Hans W