Lemon Sally Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Lemon Sally Flymph

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Lemon Sally Flymph
Hook: Mustad 94863 #16 (barbless loop up eye hook)
Thread: Benecchi 12/0, tan
Hackle: Hen, pale ginger
Body: Fine acrylic yarn, bright yellow - into split thread

Cheers,
Hans W
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Lemon Sally Flymph

Post by letumgo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:10 pm

I enjoy seeing the use of un-natural material (acrylic yarn) in these flies. A non-traditional take on a traditionally classic flymph. Gorgeous fly.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:34 pm

un-natural material
You know, that's the first Sally pattern that's ever looked right to me--the naturals in this part of the world are a hallucinatory yellow (or green) so the "waxed silk" look that works so well for mayflies was never quite vibrant enough in my estimation. (And of course, that looks to be a ginger skin to die for as well. :) )
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Wow Hans, this is sheer beauty. I did not know there was a hook just like this. I knew about the 94862. This one is longer I think. I could be wrong. Regardless, the whole fly works for me. Beautiful!!!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:17 pm

Hans, this one is just very nicely conceived. The body and hackle of this are just irresistible. I like the acrylic as well. I've been playing with some nymph body materials that give a similar effect. There's a lot to be said for this construction.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:22 pm

I like the fly Hans, but I like the hook even better.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:13 am

Hans, Very handsome fly, impeccably tied, as usual.

A question: how does the acrylic behave under water compared to natural hydrofuge fur fibers? Can it hold bubbles? I'm not saying that it must, but it would be good to know if the acrylic functions differently from traditional, natural dubbings.

Lance
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:32 am

Sorry to butt in like this Lance, but what does hydrofuge mean? Can't find it in the OED.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:31 pm

gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:35 pm

DNicolson wrote:Sorry to butt in like this Lance, but what does hydrofuge mean? Can't find it in the OED.
Donald, Pete Hidy used this term, hydrofuge, in his 1973 OPEN LETTER TO THE INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF FLYMPH FISHERMEN:
Flymphs dressed deliberately to create mimicry appear far more sensuous, if not voluptuous, in simulating the natural hydrofuge (water resistance) of trout stream insects during metamorphosis at the flymph stage of maturity.
Here are some definitions that I found:
HYDROFUGE : shedding water —used of the pubescent coating of many aquatic insects
And from another source:
PLASTRON: 2. In some insects, a physical gill made up of hydrofuge hairs. Insects which use a plastron when diving under water are covered with a thick felt of hairs which are bent over at the tips. The hairs trap a layer of air which is continuous with the tracheal system, and surrounds the animal.
(From Encyclopedia.com)

So, certain furs such as hare's mask, mole, muskrat, and seal, have an enhanced hydrofuge quality, giving them the ability to trap the famous, controversial air bubbles.

Lance