Tups and Blue Dun 3913B

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Kelly L.

Re: Tups and Blue Dun 3913B

Post by Kelly L. » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Kelly L. wrote:LOL...I have a thing for upturned hooks for the style of flies prevalent in this forum. Guess what Ray...I just got some of those HOOKS....................hehehe.
William I am tickled you put this hook on here. I keep saying to myself you don't need any more hooks, or what have you. I definitely should be in a 12 step program. Some people are house poor, car poor. I am tying materials poor.... It has to beat taking drugs, or drinking too much, right?
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:13 pm

Kelly - You gotta "vice"... (Mark would be proud :D :lol: )
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:50 pm

:D Yes, Mark knew all about my obsession, he approved, heartily at that. ;)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Dub-ya, Howdy;

That's a fantastic blend of dubbing on the 'Tups'.
very authentic from some of the photos I've seen..
Well done young lad ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:34 am

I have noticed some of the up eyed hooks used for flymphs, seem to have a longer shank than these,
which are the standard dry fly hooks, very popular since Halfords day. They have been out of fashion for
several years, or should I say, decades. The short shank version is still obtainable, but longer shanked versions
are hard to find. I have posted a couple of sources here in the UK for these short shanks but that is all.
Looking for the others leads up a lot of blind alleys. Oh well, c'est la vie.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks everyone.

Hooks....I can understand a game bird fetish (I have that one too)...or even high end capes...but hooks? It's just getting started I'm afraid and the posts on this forum aren't helping to curb it in the least. I'm glad I'm not alone, and I apologize if I've played a part in sending anyone on a "bender". I'm an enabler, but I'm not the only one, am I Stefan?

Donald the hook I posted a few flies tied on the Mustad 3121 that seemed like a lot of hook. But as you say...not easily obtained. I would love to find a supply of these.

Tups and CdL 3121

stay tuned.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:58 am

Don't apologize. I don't know what it is about hooks, and feathers, but I am obsessed. I like furs too, don't get me wrong. I have been wanting some of that Australian hare that Hans is always showing off too. But my main two, are definitely the hook, and feather. I tell you that Mustad 3121 is on my list too. I've never seen that hook before. Another obsession of mine is to tie whatever I feel an urge to. That in itself calls for lots of different materials, as my tastes vary wildly. I love to tie a NEW fly to me, and often at that. I get bored tying the same thing over and over. Hey William, this Tups fly has always been a beauty to me. Can you tell me the secret to the dubbing on a Tups? I know it has to have pink in it.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 am

Kelly L. Howdy;

Most times when I have a question the first place I go is to Donald's website.
In this case he has this;

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/page191.html

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:32 am

Kelly, I would love to hear all the variations on the Tups dubbing blends. I have pics of the original. Original recipes, etc, but that's not to say the original can't be tweeked, or outright substituted. I think I would like to see a thread in the tying section where every can post their own take on the classic, or opinions on it. I know there was a number of patterns posted a few months ago, but I seemed to miss it, or just can't remember. I have only recently tied a Tups pattern for the first time, so I'm probably the least qualified to answer your question, but there are some here that are as old as the pattern itself. Maybe they can help.

BTW, do not open my next dressing post. Hint: it will have 17-206 in the name. :D :D Just skip it.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks Hank! I have already been to Donald's site a few times. William, if you have an original photo of the Tups dubbing, please post. Maybe I can sub it. You are something else...another hook....AH...well, I will look in a while. I will try to compose myself before opening that one....hehehe.
K