Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Moldy Plum Revisited

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:13 am

Moldy Plum Soft Hackle (POP Style)
Hook - Mustad R50-94840/Size 10
Thread - 8/0 UNI-Thread (Black)
Hackle - Whiting Brahma Hen (Dyed March Brown)
Underbody - Mylar Tinsel (Silver side showing)
Abdomen - Pearsall's Marabou Silk (Purple/No. 8) - thanks Martin
Thorax - Five Strands of Genuine Bronze Peacock Herl (reinforced in thread dubbing loop) - thanks Jeff

This fly gave me a chance to play with some new materials. My sincere "Thank You" goes out to Martin "Sendelan", Jeff "Mataura mayfly" and Jim Slattery.

I recently contacted Jim Slattery to find out what types of UV cure resins he had available for working on small flies. I told him that I was looking for a very thin (low viscosity) fluid that did not leave a tacky film when it is cured. Jim said he had just the thing I was looking for. The abdomen of this fly has been treated with a material called "Hydro Clear Cure Goo". It is a very thin resin which is cured with a UV light, to form a protective coating. You just add a drop of the material to the fly, spread it around with your bodkin until your happy with the placement and then zap it with a UV light. The material cures in a matter of seconds, allowing you to quickly go on and finish the fly. I am just learning how to use this stuff, so you will probably be seeing the results of my experimentation in the future. I like the fact that it does not have the funky odor of the epoxy resins, that I had been using. Thanks Jim. So far, I like this stuff.

The "Moldy Plum" color combination was created by a gentleman on another forum. I loved the combination, and have tyed many variations of this pattern, in a range of different styles. When I saw the bronze peacock herl, that Jeff sent me, I just had to give it a try. My photo does not capture the color very well. In natural sunlight, the herl fibers are a gorgeous rich bronze color. Lovely stuff!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
CreationBear

Re: Moldy Plum Revisited

Post by CreationBear » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:24 am

Now that's a special fly...I've seen videos of Davey McPhail using a UV coating on quite a few of his flies as well. :) If I tied a lot of flies--or fished them--I think it would certainly be worth the investment.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:45 am

CB - Funny you should mention that. It was one of Davey's videos that got me interested in finding a thin UV cured resin. He uses some stuff called "Bug Bond", but I was having trouble finding it on this side of the pond. I called Jim, to ask him if he carried Bug Bond, which he does not carry. Jim told me about the Hydro resin instead.

Has anyone else played around with these light-cured resins? If so, what did you think?

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:46 am

Very original (to me). You do good work Ray.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks Wayne. ;)

CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:57 am

Ha, the problem with these "up-armored" flies is that you never have to tie more than a half-dozen. :) Speaking of which, I bet if you had some extra-fine gold wire, it would look pretty cool spiraled up that silk abdomen and then coated and sealed. (I'm all about the bling these days, y'all... :lol: )
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:03 am

Ray ~ Do you know (or does anyone else, for that matter) whether this UV-cured resin stuff addresses the issue of enhancing the fly in the eyes of the fish a la Reed's research? By the way, that is a heck of a nice pattern you've developed there, Mr. Tucker.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:13 am

That's nice, Ray. It has that special "Letumgo" look about. Just good proportions and nice and tidy.

Does the resin darken the silk the same as water or does it have any color preservative qualities? I'll be curious to see what you come up with using the stuff. Thanks too for breaking the Letumgo drought. It's great too see a new one. :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:18 am

letumgo wrote:CB - Funny you should mention that. It was one of Davey's videos that got me interested in finding a thin UV cured resin. He uses some stuff called "Bug Bond", but I was having trouble finding it on this side of the pond. I called Jim, to ask him if he carried Bug Bond, which he does not carry. Jim told me about the Hydro resin instead.

Has anyone else played around with these light-cured resins? If so, what did you think?

The only "light-cured resin I have used is Loons Knot Sense. Yes, I have the little UV light that goes with it.
I use to use it on Cravens UV JuJu Baetis patterns and Copper Johns.
http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/upload ... %20211.jpg
In my experience, the addition of resin did not add to my success rate. So now I tye my patterns without the resin. The fish dont mind and I have a lifetime suppy of Loons Knot Sense to use on my Leader to line connections. I've had the knot sense for over 5 years now, and it still works.

I do not know if this is the answer you were looking for, or the question you were asking.

Just my opinion.

* - picture taken from Charlies Fly Box http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:34 am

Ray, Howdy;

You are another 'elephant' on this forum...

http://flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 342#p38342

In all actuality there are many, many 'elephants' on this forum...
part of what has me, at least, comming back for more, and more, and more......

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin