Four with Pink Wool

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

gingerdun

Re: Four with Pink Wool

Post by gingerdun » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:10 am

Boris,
No, unfortunately, I just tied these last week, and I don't get out on the water very often. I make up for it by playing at the vise in the evenings after work.

Lance
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:22 am

Lance, this is a fantastic round, each as cool as the last. I'm not familiar with tapestry thread, but it looks like a great material to play with. It sure looks good on these. I especially like the subtle combinations that make each one very convincing. You've really got a great eye for this. I would be very hard pressed to pick a favorite. I was going to agree with Bill that the last one could be the best in show, until I scrolled to the top and thought...I would definitely make that first fly the first on the tippet. These are great and it's great to see you at the vise. I need to get some more ash silk as well. I have a spool, but rarely use it, because I only have one.

Is this the new scanner. The images are more than adequate for our purposes. Nice set.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:29 am

Hi William,
thanks for your reliably fine comments.
I discovered tapestry wool at an embroidery and needlepoint supply shop. The downside may be that it doesn't have the heavier, coarser fibers that are sometimes found in knitting yarn, and which can make buggier-looking flies. However, there are two decided advantages to tapestry yarn. It is sold in small, affordable skeins; and it is manufactured in a broad spectrum of shades and tints. If you can find such a shop in your area, it is far more rewarding to see the actual dyed wool rather than looking at color charts on the internet.

Ultimately, I think that this wool might be better employed when pulled apart into loose fibers for dubbing mixes rather than as yarn strands wrapped around the hook. That's what I want to try next. I wish I had a trout stream out back where I could go test these.

Lance
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:15 am

"I wish I had a trout stream out back where I could go test these."

Oh well...I guess that means we need to go back to Roscoe to do some field research. Okay, fine. I'm game, if you insist. ;) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:28 am

Wonderful collection. I love the shades of pink here. Very natural and subdued. I am especially drawn to the second pattern. I like the grub feel this one displays. It is lively looking and I envision it very naturally colored when wet. I really like the fourth fly and the contrasting color scheme there. I may steal that pattern as it strikes me as a nice steelhead pattern.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Old Hat wrote:. Very natural and subdued.

I agree.