Micro Tubing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Micro Tubing

Post by DUBBN » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:12 pm

A little over a year ago Bill (tie2fish) showed the forum a method of running Krystal Flash or wire through Midge Tubing. It makes for a fascinating effect on the patterns that I tryed it on. Not to mention the trout in my neck of the woods like it aswell.

One problem. The first time I went to the store to buy tubing, I purchased "MICRO" tubing. Too small to apply Bills technique. Luckily I only bought, Clear, Red, and a bag of Peacock. The stuff has set on the shelf since I brought it home.

Winter will be here soon. That means (for me) that if I want to fish the local tail waters I better have some midge larva and pupa. No biggy, you can tye them with just thread, or you can get fancy and use many materials to crank them out. Being lazy, I always opt for thread midges for most of my patterns.

Last night while sipping cheap beer (Miller), I watched a video on YouTube. Just what the Dr. ordered! A way to get that Micro Tubing used up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiysrMIR8t4

I cranked a few of these out.

Hook – Mustad 9671 size 18
Thread – Griffith, 14/0 Sheer Black
Body – Red Micro Tubing
Collar – Grizzly Hen Hackle

I was surprised at the bump in the body where the thorax should be. That is the stem of my feather. I couldn’t see it till I took the photo.

Here’s a simple larva

Hook – Cabela’s Scud Hook, size 20
Thread – Griffith, 14/0 Sheer Black
Body – Peacock Micro Tubing

The two patterns together

I will probably tye the rest of my midge larva and pupa till I run out of the micro tubing. Then I will go back to the thread bodies. Either way I am betting the fish don’t mind. ;-)
Mataura mayfly

Re: Micro Tubing

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Over here you can get (in craft stores) plastic tubing with woven tinsel already inside. It comes in various colours and some of it has glitter embedded in the plastic. It is a bit big for wrapped fly bodies, (especially the size you like), but does stretch to become thinner and if it is warm enough the walls of the tube will flatten upon wrapping to give a flatter body.
Best of all it is cheap! :D I also get rolls of a product like jelly legs for a fraction of tackle store prices from the same place........ also makes nice bodies with a translucent look.

Nice way to make your midge patterns and use up some materials that might otherwise remain neglected.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Nice-looking flies, Wayne. I have been tying quite a few chironomid and scud/shrimp patterns, hoping to get more into stillwater fishing next season. ;)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks for the kind words John! Glad to see you posting again! I gotta take up still water again. I think I said that to you this time last year.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:27 pm

DUBBN, Howdy;

Way to go Large dude ..... 8-) !!!

You go tying up a bunch of them an' you'll
be havin' "Morgys" in yer fly box .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the serious side (is there one ???), great lookin' mini flies ! :D :D

Rascal sez "oof",

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Norm Frechette

Post by Norm Frechette » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:36 am

wire works also

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:43 am

[quote="DUBBN"]A little over a year ago Bill (tie2fish) showed the forum a method of running Krystal Flash or wire through Midge Tubing. quote]

I was unable to thread wire through the "Micro" tubing in a timely manner. I bought some xtra small UTC Copper wire for the task, but it is very flemsy . I commend you Norm. You are a heck of a guy.

What size are those patterns Norm? 26's?
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:47 am

There you go norm. The best I can do. A size 24 scud hook, with a copper wire core in Micro Tubing. Definately not in your league norm, but I am sure not many people are.

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:57 am

You guys are amazing!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks for sharing that link, Wayne. I really like that technique. I enjoy seeing all of the flies posted in this thread. The wire core caddis patterns are one of my favorites.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean