Daring Duffer Series - Knekestorparen

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Daring Duffer Series - Knekestorparen

Post by William Anderson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:28 pm

I did not make that word up...I'm just curious to hear what it means. :D

Another very cool pair from Stefan.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
hankaye

Re: Daring Duffer Series - Knekestorparen

Post by hankaye » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:58 pm

w, Howdy;

I've checked several (well 3 anyway), translaters and no hapiness...

Very good looking flies Stephn, and your photography is still 10/10, w.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 pm

It's a Gunnar Johnson pattern, if I am not mistaken. Marvelous flies Stefan.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:25 am

Thank you W.
I understand your difficulties Hank. As Ray said, this is an attempt at a Gunnar Johnson pattern. He wrote about it in his first book "Med fluga" 1979 (With fly). It is named after a small stillwater where he used to fish. One of those two flies is the very fly that caught me my first grayling 1988. This was a very plump and incredibly strong fish, not very big ( maybe 35cm) that was feeding subsurface right where a small mountain creek joined the river. Don't think I ever had a happier moment. This was a dream coming true. At last I was a real fly fisherman catching the most valued quarry. My heart was rushing with joy. Fishing this very fly was important to me since Gunnar was a very important person in my life. I did not know him, but respected him from his writing in books and as editor of Flugfiske i Norden. That fly was one of the first I ever tied. The other one caught me a much bigger grayling in Kaitum River more than a decade later. This time I was casting to a fish I saw all the time and it was fascinating to see its reaction when the fly was carried down to where it was feeding. It prepared to intercept the fly while it was still several feet away.

I don't think that Gunnar would say that the execution of these two flies impress much. Proportions could be better (shorter white tip) and hackle choice could also be better (higher quality hen cape). But since he was always very encouraging he would say that the all important details were right; I tied them and I fished them and I enjoyed them. I utilized their "insect quality".

dd

Hook: Kamasan B525
Body: White tipped turkey tail
Hackle: Black hen
Thread: Yes
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 am

dd, Howdy;

Thank you for the history of the fly in your life.
Sometimes the measure of our happiness is the small things
that create the most overwhelming feelings within us.
Thanks for shareing one of yours.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 am

Stefan - Thank you for sharing the background with us and telling us about your experience with this fly. For me, that makes this post extra special. I have never caught a grayling, but hope to someday.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Hank,

I have always been a romantic. I envisioned fly fishermen to be people with 'that' special quality, not trying to impress on others but to improve themselves. I was standing outside looking in. I knew I was lacking the eye-sight and sense of rythm needed to be one of them. I had the heart and urge and need, but all I could do was to read about it. I believed fly fishermen were people who would take part in preserving the wilderness, with its streams and flora and fauna. I thought they were a kind of people caring about history and future, with big hearts and strong feelings.

I was wrong. It's a pity and a shame but I was wrong. It is breaking my heart that not even people with the opportunity to enjoy our art and craft and sport and whatever have the ability to grow as human beings. We care about lesser values and are blind to what ought to be of importance. We are just ordinary people - no better, no worse.

And I still need my fix of natural materials, history and knowledge. And the sound and smell and force of running water.

dd
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:10 am

Stefan, I'm so proud to have been a small part of this thread. What a wonderful story and certainly one of my favorite posts. I had no idea the flies had such significance. Thanks so much for sharing with us all. I will definitely take care of them until they are safely back in your box. I wish I had my first fly, or maybe it's best that it's lost. :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:44 pm

William,
These flies are yours to fish or give away. You just might try one of them in Roscoe?

In an earlier post I spoke of fly fishermen. I meant fly fisher persons. I read about the club that didn't allow women as members. I'm not fond of all history even if I want to know.

Speaking of knowledge, I know it is a wide gap between knowing and knowing of. To know that you are supposed to "work your flies" is far from knowing how to do it and even if you know how to do it you could lack the skills to do it, or to do it the right way. I prefer to know as much as possible anyhow. Ability is something else...

dd
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:35 pm

Just found this:http://www.rackelhanen.se/swe/1471.htm Unfortunately only in my native tounge. Pattern devised in the sixties.

dd