Daring Duffer Series - Knekestorparen

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Daring Duffer Series - Knekestorparen

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Stefan, I'll part a couple more when I get back. There are a couple more treats to share.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:24 am

Found this thread looking for info concerning the Knekestorparen, Stefan, lovely words.. Found the article translatedto English http://www.rackelhanen.com/eng/10469.htm.

Over and out
Nikas
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks Nikas!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:43 am

Stefan,
This string happened when my attention was elsewhere. I apologize for not contributing then.
Your comments about the commercialization of the sport sound like Gunnar's letters to my father and me. Over here there is hope in the organization Trout Unlimited. It seems to be under excellent, visionary management, with chapters all across the continent. They are doing a lot to bring back native trout and their habitats.

Now, about the Knekestorparen. Gunnar and my father exchanged flies, among which I found one that looks like it could be a Knekestorparen. Do you think it is?

Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Lance, I am no way an expert on this fly but that would certainly get my vote for a Knekestorparen especially under the circumstances you have described. Just to add, it is an expertly and perfectly tied specimen.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Here is the sketch that Gunnar made, the same one posted on one of the Swedish links above.
You can see clearly that turkey herl is wrapped around the hook. In the photograph of the fly he gave Pete, the herl is smoother, if it really is herl.

Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:02 pm

I would be extremely surprised if the material in the photo was not herl and I can't think of another feather that would give that coloring combo.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:34 pm

The flies are incredible!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:34 pm

Old Hat wrote:I would be extremely surprised if the material in the photo was not herl and I can't think of another feather that would give that coloring combo.
Agreed. I just tied up a number of these after the recent activity on this fly. The turkey feather creates this very interesting effect. They are spot on to the stamp and the Gunnar Johnson fly. It will be a bit before posting, but this thread seems to have legs.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:56 pm

I would dare to say that the fly you are showing is a version of Knekestorparen. Like you, Lance, I'm curious about the smoothness of the body. Can't remember having seen that appearence even after slimed by a fish. There has to be some kind of explanation since I believe nothing was ever random in his work.

At about the same time Gunnar began to tie his Knekestorpare another fly tier was using the same body material for his SL Sedge. SL stands for Sveneric Loodh. I won't tell you what Sedge stands for. The fly also goes by the name "The Pastor". I'm sure you can understand why.

If you follow the link you will be able to see one of his beautiful knives and also Kurt Danielsson (outside the tent) who developed the LOOP reel.

http://www.nsd.se/nyheter/kiruna/fina-m ... 67684.aspx

Unfortunately, white-tipped turkey tail feathers are not so easy to come by nowadays.

dd