Copper and Honey

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Copper and Honey

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:28 pm

C'mon Tan Caddis! Time to start emerging!

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Size 18 Muskrat, on a Mustad 3399A is about as small as I can manage with the Indian hen cape.

I am still enjoying these 2nd class feathers. ;)
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 am

You have been wonderfully busy, Wayne -- all of these bear your unmistakable stamp of "fish catcher". Three or four of each of these in a little plastic box would put The "Big Boys Catalog Assortments" out of business in short order.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 am

Damn, Wayne, this is great. I'm glad to see such nice use of these materials. I have more types and qualities of hen capes than I should (not as many as some - you know who you are :D ) and I like to fool around with them all. Who wouldn't?

Great sets, please don't stop now.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:21 pm

You are having way too much fun Wayne, keep it up.

Muskrat - hare for the tail?

Wonderful postings here.

I agree with both Wayne and Hans. From our perspective, we are in the golden age (who knows what is to come), we have options that were un-imaginable to those of the past. Tyers for the most part will always search for the "best" in a search for the holy grail of material. It is part of the fun. However we can get so caught up in the path forward so that we can find it leading us further away from the goal. It is always good to have an idea of where you started and the map of how you got to where you are.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Wow, thanks for the kind words. I was trying to show that these low grade capes could still produce top notch patterns. I will admit freely that I am not the one to demonstrate that. I am far from an adequate tier.

Most of the capes are gone. I do have 3 dark Ginger rooster capes, and one off white hen cape left. If anyone would like them please let me know soon.

Carl, the tails are hen barbules. :)
Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 am

DUBBN wrote: I love the synthetics available to me in this era. I feel good that I do not need them to catch a trout.
Quote of the year, you should frame it -

I have a slightly different take though. For me the best material has nothing to do with nostalgia or believing that something with historical value is nesessarily better or that it is easier to tie with or looks better in a photo. A material either works effectively on a fly when it is fished or it doesn't. Having said that, when working with certain materials at the vice or presenting them on a fly to a trout, if there is a historical context, then that is an added pleasure.

and yes, catching a trout using a fly whose materials is passed over by others, thats fun too.......