Some aBOMBinations for Old Hat 'Warning'

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fly_fischa

Some aBOMBinations for Old Hat 'Warning'

Post by fly_fischa » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:54 pm

No need to feel bad about your bead head soft hackle Carl, in sympathy I thought I'd share what has been rolling off my vise lately. :oops:
I'm Heading on a fishing adventure to the North Island 13-25th April for a change, to fish the Tongariro with a close friend. This is a first for me including tying sacrificial bomb/weighted nymphs to this size, the smallest beads are 3.6-5.5mm and they're all tungsten with as many lead wraps as can possibly be squeezed onto the shank of the hook.
There are 168 of them ready for action, don't ask me how I'm going to cast them, it's a far cry from my usual flies that I take to the south island.
I might do a field trip report when I return on the 25th of April, that's if this post doesn't see me banished forever.

Karsten :D

Mataura mayfly

Re: Some aBOMBinations for Old Hat 'Warning'

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:19 pm

See Carl!!!!!....... I told you! Big beads AND lead wraps...... only in NZ eh? :lol:

Karsten, if you have not been there and done that, about 10 minutes after you get there it will all become very clear. That box of fine looking big water deep fishing nymphs will do you well (just forget your 7' #4 weight that day), but it is way to neat, regimental and organised. Not to mention exemplary ties, each as pretty as a picture. (If you like you pictures with big chunky out there heads!) ;)

Full post-use report required and try to fit in a Dawn Service on the 25th before you leave.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Shock :shock: and awe :o

Beautiful. But no rubber legs? ;)
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 pm

What Carl said, beauties. Those orange beads really pop out. :D
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks Jeff and Carl, trip report will follow. Just finished packing the excitement is starting to kick in. :D
Beautiful. But no rubber legs? ;)
The answer to that my friend is that some of us can practice restraint and know where to draw the line. 8-)

Psst! Mate, don't tell anyone, the rubber legged double tungsten bead, holographic tinsel nymphs are in the 'other box'. ;)
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 pm

chase creek wrote:What Carl said, beauties. Those orange beads really pop out. :D
Yep, those orange beads really remind me of those bright yellow, red or orange open faced off road motorcycle helmets bought out by Bell back in the 1970's. :lol:

Karsten, curious as to the choice of jig style hooks for some of your nymphs pictured. Was it just a "what was available" selection, or is there a method behind the hook choice?
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Howdy All;

All this talk about Beads and Rubber legs :shock: , :o .
Seeing all of Karsten's little beauties reminded me
of a you tube i saw when I was starting outwaaaaay back in 2010.
I'm sure that a few of our Texas and other Southern fishers of bream/crappie
and other such denizens of the depths may be familiar with The Cap Fly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZekzIL ... FC&index=1
Tyed on some of these;
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain- ... 744626.uts
The hook is roughly a #10.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:00 am

Thanks guys, I'll look at the links when I have computer access Hank ;)

Jeff -
Karsten, curious as to the choice of jig style hooks for some of your nymphs pictured. Was it just a "what was available" selection, or is there a method behind the hook choice?
I bought these particular jig style Hanak comp. hooks for the trip. Using a slotted bead you can fit the bead over the jig bend so that it rests up against the eye. If you look closely you'll notice that a few patterns didn't have a slot so there's a gap between the eye and the bead, call it dodgy workmanship. ;)
The idea of the hooks is that the shape and bead position kind of change the centre of gravity making the hook ride upside down or hook point up, at rest the fly sits head down tail in the air. I guess the latter has to be an advantage to not getting hung up as often when hugging the bottom, at least that's the theory.

If you like I can send you some when I get back home, just shoot me a pm if you're interested. I figure it might be hard to get them in your neck of the woods...

K

Ps. I may not have Internet access in Turangi...
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:52 am

Dude! OK we are a wee bit behind the rest of the World....... but we do have the internet here! :lol:

Most things are hard to find here, but I do have a supply of jig hooks, not the same maker mind, but I have a few. Have not really "experimented with them much. Because of the basically rainless February and March we have had most snags are easily avoided as they are breaking the surface of most local waters, so I have not really had to factor in hook orientation much this season.
It will be interesting to see if your choice has much bearing in the might of the Tongariro, depending on the flow rate and where you are fishing, it might be inclined to spin your nymphs rather than let them ride right way up.
It is one river to cross off the "bucket list" though, you are a lucky man to have the opportunity. Best of luck to you.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 pm

They are adorable little flies, and they are so uniform in their looks. Outstanding job, I love them! :D