Lil' Dorothy 1550

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Lil' Dorothy 1550

Post by William Anderson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 pm

So after a short struggle with photobucket, my photo set up and some time mis-management issues, I finally have something to share.

A fly I've always meant to add to my box and I'm glad I did. This one is for Mark. The hook is a Daiichi 1550 #14 and the thorax is a blend of hares cheek and a blend of natural and golden seal. I can't wait to drift these over the snouts of some fussy browns toward the end of May and all summer long.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Re: Lil' Dorothy 1550

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Very nice work William.
What is your abdomen thread? Looks almost like original and hard to find Pearsall orange. The original I based my own tying off is an orange embroidery thread the Mark used, yours looks to be more "second generation" when Mark found a sewing silk of a lighter shade but more translucent.
Did you take your working thread down to the bend, or just catch the silk and wound it on the bare shank down and back up?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Wonderful! Thanks, William. That should work well!

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:Very nice work William.
What is your abdomen thread? Looks almost like original and hard to find Pearsall orange. The original I based my own tying off is an orange embroidery thread the Mark used, yours looks to be more "second generation" when Mark found a sewing silk of a lighter shade but more translucent.
Did you take your working thread down to the bend, or just catch the silk and wound it on the bare shank down and back up?
Thanks Jeff, and Mark. The abdomen is tied using the closest silken embroidery thread that I could find by Guttermann, which has a softer orange quality, similar to Pearsall's Orange (not hot orange) tied in at the thorax, brought down to the bend in touching turns and brought back to the thorax twisted as a cord, leaving the working thread at the thorax position. The seal and hare blend for the thorax is wrapped in a dropped dubbing loop to help manage the seal. I still haven't mastered the touch of a straight noodle technique with seal fibers. But I absolutely love the result, especially after brushing out some of the dubbing over the abdomen to get the shrouding effect Mark describes for his original design. It's a great fly. I have scores of sulphur and light cahill patterns as soft-hackles and flymphs, and for some reason these stand out in the box, partly due to the white, creamy list of the ginger hackle, and partly due to the embroidery abdomin. Mark, thanks for sharing this one and like I said, I look forward to connecting with it very soon.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com