Williams Favorite - Stewart Hybrid

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Williams Favorite - Stewart Hybrid

Post by William Anderson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:44 am

I was fooling around with a slight tweek to the North Country Spider called Williams Favorite. I tied a few using the Stewart hackling technique and a few simply bringing the hackle through the thorax, then bringing the tying thread back up through the hackle with a hint of black mole on the thread. These are tied on a Shalka hooks, kindly gifted by Rob Culver, who some of you may remember. It's a beautiful barbless hook. This is a WN1 in a size 14. Anyway, several hackle techniques with similar results.

"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
chase creek

Re: Williams Favorite - Stewart Hybrid

Post by chase creek » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 am

Very cool, William. I really like the way those are fashioned after Stewart's. Makes for a very lively and buggy fly. Great idea with the mole, gives it that something "extra".
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 am

A great pattern William.

Add a little red yarn tail and you have a Reid's Assassin, one of my favorites.

Have you fished the Skalka hooks yet? I bought a few in the wet series and the streamer series a couple years ago. I'm not sure I like them. Maybe it is just me but I have had a hard time hooking up with the hooks. I get strikes but seem to miss the hook up. I was thinking it was the length of the point? I don't know...could be a coincidence and I just wasn't setting them right. Would like to know how they work for you. They certainly are sharp buggers.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:32 pm

William, did I make the body too short on this Spider? I think taking it behind the barb would make it too long.

William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:55 pm

[quote="DUBBN"]William, did I make the body too short on this Spider?

Wayne, seems similar to a Tweed style body to me. The medium length between a Clyde and a Tummel length body on traditional NCS. For our purposes...it looks like a killer little pattern, whatever the tradition.

I think it would be presumptuous to attempt to coin a name for a pattern that is so readily recognizable (both of them), just a blend of the two. But for my boxes or conversational purposes, I think I'll refer to it as a Williams Stewart. Just might happen to become a Favorite. Whatever you call them, they look great to me. I carry a number of Williams Favorites, but the Stewart (yes I know it's a Bailley) hackle seems more exciting as I imagine these guys finding their drift. field testing to follow.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:00 pm

I have a hard time keeping the material to a minimum on these patterns. Then when I consciously minimize, I tend to under dress the pattern.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Good stuff!

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Wayne, beautiful little wet. Sometimes that short abdomen just enhances the fly. I think this is the case here.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm

That does give a nice effect, the touch of Mole. Very suited to the slim profile.
I may have to give this one a try, never had a lot of luck with through the thorax hackle wraps- but I have the whole Winter to learn.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:53 pm

William Anderson wrote:... the North Country Spider called Williams Favorite...
Not to put too fine a point on it, but Williams' Favorite is a Welsh fly, not from the North Country. And as William fils pictured in his book, it's far too heavily hackled to be considered a spider.

Anyway, you beat me to this. I've been thinking about doing the same thing for a while now and haven't gotten around to it. Nice job.
Bob