Wilted Spinach variant

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Wilted Spinach variant

Post by tie2fish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:59 am

With apologies to Mssrs Bartlett, Sanders, Slattery, Hidy, et al ... ;) :lol: :lol:

Wilted Spinach Jingler

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:12 am

That didn't take long.
Wow. That look like an all-purpose, Swiss Army Knife fly that imitates nearly anything and can be fished floating or submerged.
How about a recipe?
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:29 am

The hook is a 2X long nymph weight in a Size #12 I think. The body is a seal blend per the original dubbing colors with a rib of gold oval tinsel (I had mixed up a small batch of the dubbing right after Carl's original post). The "soft" front hackle collar is English grouse, and the "stiff" hackle is fluro orange saddle hackle.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 am

Bill, this is why you're my hero. Way to bring it all together.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:17 am

Bill,
I think we need a new name for this. What is Lynn making for lunch?
:D
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:22 am

How 'bout Jingler Spoof?
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:03 pm

I am very happy with this one Bill. You are a reliable producer!

dd
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Lance and Bill and Carl and....the list goes on!
Way back in 2012 in a small town called Roscoe, Bill gave me a pattern called the Wilted Spinach and I stuck it on a card and wrote down the receipe and placed it on my bulletin board over my desk with the instructions to tie this pattern soon. As things go, the card and fly in now on hold in my box of patterns and materials and tools and stuff from famous tyers and fishers from all over the world! When I die, please ask Mona for this box (it's up on the top shelf, left side, next to the Famous Flymph Box!) and divie up the stuff that I have treasured since knowing all of you fine folks!
Back to the Spinach....I don't recall the exact conversation that Bill and I had about the pattern but I remember that from out of his impressive stash of patterns, came the Wilted Spinach of which this thread pertains. I am going right now and retrieve this card and place it back on the bulletin board within plain sight (which means on top of all the stuff that's already pinned up there) and I will get to work on duplicating Bills version. Better yet, why don't I try and photograph it and post it upon the forum? Ruard and Bill, I know that you have been very patient with me in my photographic endeavors. I will try and get crackin' on this soon. Lance, I will field test the new versions and let you know what my friends in the new pond think of it! Three hackle versions come to mind...Black hen (REE), dark, well marked Hungarian partridge (which seems to blend well with this particular body color), and a certain orange colored India hen saddle that is also up on the shelf in the closet and begging to audition for the staring roll as chief hackle on this wonderful pattern. I will try and do all three. Gotta love those variations!
Wilted Lettuce comes to mind in that orig. conversation....
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:41 pm

I liked Lance's version so much I had to go and work on one still keeping the red head and grouse hackle.
Wilted Spinach 2.jpg
Wilted Spinach 2.jpg (184.72 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:15 am

That will fit very nicely into the salad, Mr. Hat.