Wilted Spinach variant

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

gingerdun

Re: Wilted Spinach variant

Post by gingerdun » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:18 pm

Having learned a bit more about this pattern, here is another variation. The body is Clark-dubbed on fine gold wire, spun using a Radio Shack wire clip.
Flourescent seal substitute is mixed with the yellow and orange wool. Hungarian partridge, crimson silk.

Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:47 pm

Great looking tie Lance!!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:36 am

Wow! Talk about nailing a pattern! Bring a batch for the 2014 gathering. :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:02 am

Excellent variation, Lance.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:22 am

Some very cool and unusual (to me) patterns in here, worthy of tying up a few for the up-coming season here. The tail is similar to the Pogo nymph I use a lot, I might try the loop style on a few of those versus the usual two strand split tail of krystal flash for a bit of variation.
Thanks for bringing this pattern to my attention Lance. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:10 am

I keep coming back to this post Lance. I really like your variation in the first post. Ron's color combo is very nice and you did a great job in constructing a buggy profile and it a big enough variant that it is worth having both yours and the original in a box.

Your second variation is a fine variation of the original. John Bartlett (goes by John Montana on forums) has long since slid to the dark side and concentrates on fly fishing for carp here in Oregon. If you wish to contact him with any questions he can be reached on his blog: Carp on the Fly

http://carponthefly.blogspot.com

I did some research in the Archives on Westfly and found this thread which has interesting info. John originally designed this fly for a chironomid (midge) hatch on Bootleg Lake, Montana.

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/forums/ ... 260&page=1

It appears from most of the past threads I read that the red head, the krystal flash tail and the soft hackle is the the predominant requirements. Body color is less important.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Carl,
You keep opening new doors for us. The WestFly forum is impressive, and the members seem to enjoy themselves. And John Bartlett, aka John Montana, is a hoot. His carp fishing blog is refreshing. He seems like a good one to keep an eye on.

His comments on the Wilted Spinach thread about weight and bead heads, and tandem fishing, suggest that this is a versatile pattern, open to a lot of variation.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:02 pm

What a treat to see one of my personal favorites and it's variations while I sip a latte in West Yellowstone. The fishing rig is getting a much deserved oil change and I'm getting a heavy hit of coffee.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 am

Who will be the first tying Wilted Spinach Jingler? Probably has been done already...

dd
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:06 am

DD, a Google search for Wilted Spinach Jingler came up blank, so looks like you have a clear field. Go for it!