Tup's Fade

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Tup's Fade

Post by Old Hat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:35 pm

I have been working on a series of patterns that I am calling Fades. The dubbing for the bodies is two toned with a slight overlap within the same dubbing strand so that the abdomen color somewhat fades into the thorax color. I have one pattern that started this series that has really proven itself over the last couple years. So I thought I would experiment with other color combinations that might be a little more hatch specific. I am working on this one as a march brown pattern.

Hook: Mustad 3096B #14
Thread: 8/0 uni, dun, waxed with a dark cobbler's wax
Ribbing: small pearl tinsel
Abdomen: tup's blend dubbing
Thorax: dark natural hare
Hackle: partridge rump feather
Tup's Fade.jpg
Tup's Fade.jpg (142.95 KiB) Viewed 5809 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
chase creek

Re: Tup's Fade

Post by chase creek » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Beautiful tie, Carl. Are you using a pre-formed (dubbing block) loop with the abdomen and thorax combined in the same loop?
I've attempted it a few times; it's not easy to get the right look, and I was never satisfied. But I think you've nailed it.
Looking forward to see your other combinations.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:57 pm

chase creek wrote: Are you using a pre-formed (dubbing block) loop with the abdomen and thorax combined in the same loop?
I am using a preformed dubbing strand that I make on the dubbing block of my Norvise. It was tricky getting the right amounts to get the taper I was after, and have the fade at the right point.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Old hat, Howdy;

Nice piece of skullwork coming up with the combination
for that tye. Did you also take it to the barber shop???
I like the way the colors blend and reflect on the rib.
Beauty....

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:59 am

Great concept, Carl. It appears that you are able to get the color overlap located just right. This pattern should be a big time killer in your parts.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:42 am

Very nice fly Carl and I know that it is tricky to use two colors in one loop.

greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:36 pm

hankaye wrote:Old hat, Howdy;

Nice piece of skullwork coming up with the combination
for that tye. Did you also take it to the barber shop???
I like the way the colors blend and reflect on the rib.
Beauty....

hank
No haircut Hank. But, I noticed that appearance too after I posted the photo. Sure looks like it. Probably the way I combed it out?

Thanks gentlemen. This one initially started with a light and dark hare. I usually add some red into my march brown patterns so I started playing around but wasn't happy with the combination. then the tup's blend came to mind and it was really just what I was after. I have about a dozen slight color variations of this pattern now. :D
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:47 pm

Superbly done Carl. I will be tying some Fades in the future.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:10 am

Carl, I've been looking this over and thinking about the differences between the fade from the bend to the hackle and the typical abdomen/thorax construction. I suspect with some nymph imitations it would be more imitative to have a clear distinction, I do not suspect that would actually make any different in catch rate, but it occurred to me. I'm always game for color shift and material blends. This technique, especially the way you achieve it with your nor-vise is very cool. A tough procedure to dial in and you've done a very nice job. Can we see the others as they are produced? This is something I need to fool around with a little more myself.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:57 pm

William Anderson wrote:Carl, I've been looking this over and thinking about the differences between the fade from the bend to the hackle and the typical abdomen/thorax construction. I suspect with some nymph imitations it would be more imitative to have a clear distinction, I do not suspect that would actually make any different in catch rate, but it occurred to me. I'm always game for color shift and material blends. This technique, especially the way you achieve it with your nor-vise is very cool. A tough procedure to dial in and you've done a very nice job. Can we see the others as they are produced? This is something I need to fool around with a little more myself.
Actually, I cordially disagree and think it would be less imitative with a clear distinction. Filter through the nymphs in your local streams or look at images online of naturals. Very rarely is there a clear distinction between the abdomen and the thorax. Yes there will often be a darker shade in the thorax but both the abdomen and thorax will have blends in the same color palette . In a few circumstances a mature nymph will have a very dark wing pad. This wing pad though is only along the top and is overlapping the standard body color. This would still be a blend, tying in the round. A more imitative approach would be a distinction between the ventral and dorsal surfaces in a lot of nymphs. However, this is very difficult to accomplish with wingless wets unless you pull out the markers. A lot of the subsurface patterns do take advantage of a distinct abdomen/thorax and quite a few even exaggerate this with very contrasting or attractive colors. I believe this is because the contrast can be attractive to trout. I do this often, and utilize colors not often associated with naturals with good response from the fish. In nature though, this would be counterintuitive to survival. A distinct contrast would not be advantageous unless your trying to attract a mate. :D For this reason you don't see it often. I agree with you though that an overall catch rate wouldn't probably differ significantly in favor of either method. Either would work better or worse depending on different situations. The fun is trying to find which one and when.

The biggest advantage to the Fade is really only in the tying. A durable one strand wrap and tie and of course the distinction between the abdomen and thorax is completely in the hands of the tier.

Here is a picture of a mature march brown nymph which is a quite common color scheme in the waters of the Inland Northwest. This is what I was after with the above pattern.
March Brown nymph.jpg
March Brown nymph.jpg (138.49 KiB) Viewed 5619 times