Variation on a Variation by Old Hat

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Dwclapp

Variation on a Variation by Old Hat

Post by Dwclapp » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Was so impressed with Old Hat's Copper King Variation that I had to run out and get a couple spools of the Sulky Sliver.

Here is what I came up with Grouse and Old Gold

Hook: Daiichi 1480 sz. 12
Thread: Wine 14/0
Hackle: Grouse wing coverlet
Thorax: Peacock herl
Body: Tying thread overwrapped with Sulky Sliver 8007 "Gold" to give ribbing effect.

Old Hat

Re: Variation on a Variation by Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Very nice. I like the pattern a lot. Can't go wrong with a little peacock for the thorax.

What did you think of the Sulky? I have found it very strong and easy to work with. It will be interesting to see how durable it is.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:14 pm

Marvelous. I need to pull out my Sulky collection (Bill and Wayne got me started on this stuff a while back. Great stuff. I have a bunch of colors. Time to drag them out again.)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:44 pm

What a great looking fly.
Bob
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:38 pm

DW...that is a beauty! Dang it. I am gonna have to get online and find some of that Sulky stuff...y'all are killing me with it. ;)
Dwclapp

Post by Dwclapp » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Check your local JoAnn's fabric store (of course being up in east Texas that may be all the way to Shreveport or Dallas). The one here has a huge Sulky products display. Got some spools of the Sliver and what they call holoshimmer. The holoshimmer appears to be the same stuff but with a holographic pattern to the tinsel (purple holographic... Thinking Stewarts Spider with purple holo body).

First time using the stuff was a pleasure. Wish I had a bobbin that would work with these wide spools. May have to off-spool a bit onto a standard spool so I can use it with a bobbin.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:44 am

Darin this is such a nice spider. Beautiful pairing with the hackle.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:42 am

Great color combination and very nice photo as well.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:31 am

DW...no Joanne's here. But I already bought a couple of there metallic type spools a good while back. It must of been Sulky Sliver. I just knew it as Sulky metallic. I got it at Hancock Fabrics. Now if I just remembered where the heck I put them...LOL. One of them was a pearl color. I can't remember what the other color was. I think I didn't use them much because of that extra long spool. My tying table looks pretty pathetic and cluttered. I had to search the other day just to find my hair stacker, the med size. Still haven't found the large one. :oops:
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:30 am

Man I've been missing a lot lately, the past couple days you guys have produced some excellent flies.