March Brown Twists 1550's

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Kelly L.

Re: March Brown Twists 1550's

Post by Kelly L. » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Old Hat, that fly is a beauty! I particularly like that body work! (the hook is perfect too) :D
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Do you not still use it, Carl, and if so, why not? I had not thought about rhea herl, but it looks really good.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:58 pm

The Rhea is nice, it's like a shortened version of ostrich. :D

I still have a couple in my box and use it, it is just one of those that has fallen to the wayside for whatever reason, probably just an interest in other patterns. I have found myself fishing more traditional flymph style ties or sparse spiders when I fish soft hackles. This just happens to be in between.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:50 pm

These are really cool too William. Those colors work very well on the fish here. I love the mottled look. Great job!
William Anderson wrote:Thanks everyone for the comments. Part of the reason for this approach's appeal to me is it adds that complexity of mottling in the body. I've take this road several times for both hatch specific and generally well coordinated generic patterns. Herl twisted with wire is always a good choice. Herl ribbed with wire or something else is also a perfect option and no doubt makes little difference, at least in my imagination, in their efficacy. Another appeal is the quick and simple method that leaves me feeling like I've achieved a productive fly with the easy and simplicity of a spider pattern.

This pattern uses two strands of grey goose breast feathers and two fibers from a dyed turkey flat, usually used for posts on parachute patterns, twisted with silk.

And this is an all time favorite using golden pheasant tail and silk twisted. Some of you have seen these before. But I was hoping others would post their own versions.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Old Hat wrote:This is not a March Brown pattern but one that I use to use quite a bit. I called it the Light Rhea Dun. A PMD or PED pattern. But you still can see the mottled color combinations you talk about. Sorry for the picture quality, back in the days with my little point and shoot and less lighting skills. :roll:

Is uses honey dun hen for the tail and hackle. Primrose Pearsall's silk twisted with a couple Rhea herls for the body.

Carl, I don't remember seeing this. I'm glad you put it up here. I haven't messed with the longer hers (longer than peacock) but it's definitely something to consider. I'm sure there are a couple of perfect combos to be found. This is a nice one.

Kelly and everyone, thanks for the kind comments.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:45 pm

How the heck did I miss this post earlier? Wow, these are beautiful flies guys. Love the added mottling provided with the twisted technique.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:33 pm

William and Carl,
Twist and Shout is what I say! Gentlemen, these patterns are fantastic! I simply cannot say enough about your works here on the forum. We all have something exciting to look forward to when we see your names appear on the indexes! The quality of work lately on the forum is just wonderful and you two's work is no exception! I think I am on a sugar high from all this eye candy! The high water mark has been set folks, let's go get'm!
Thrilled beyond words (imagine that from me!),
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Izaak

Post by Izaak » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:30 pm

I have to agree with DOUGSDEN. These are some really nice looking flies! Makes me want to do the twist. You've got my mind going now and I imagine I'll be experimenting with various materials and cranking out some Twisters in the near future. Inspirational. Thanks guys! Good stuff!

Tom