Partridge and Yellow

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Partridge and Yellow

Post by tie2fish » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:12 am

Continuing my experiments using the "shortened" partridge hackle technique that I discussed here a couple of weeks back, I have decided that my future partridge skin purchases will be based primarily on color, with less regard for feather barb length. I have previously been obsessed with trying to find skins that had goodly quantities of feathers that would allow me to tie flies on little (#16 and smaller) hooks, and I have been frustrated more often than not.

Now I have discovered that -- with some practice and patience -- not only can I tie the desired smaller flies using relatively large feathers, but I can also get the darker brown colors and markings that are preferred by some spider historians. In addition, I can easily achieve two other desired features: hackle barbs that stick out at 90 degrees (for better flexibility in the water) and small neat heads. Witness this Partridge and Yellow tied on a Size #18 dry fly hook:

Last edited by tie2fish on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Roadkill

Re: Patridge and Yellow

Post by Roadkill » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Great fishing fly and a wonderful tying skill!
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Bill, I enjoyed your fly, and reading your experimentation. Buying skins based on color, and not length, is something to ponder. I like what you have come up with. Could you tell me after you have fished these for a while, do the fish notice a difference? When you say you buy based on color....does that mean you purposely choose skins with more brown? Or do you mean you look for dyed partridge skins? I am unsure of what you mean.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Bill - Great post! Just goes to show, what's possible with the right skills. Thanks for pushing the envelope and raising the bar.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Kelly L. wrote:Bill, I enjoyed your fly, and reading your experimentation. Buying skins based on color, and not length, is something to ponder. I like what you have come up with. Could you tell me after you have fished these for a while, do the fish notice a difference? When you say you buy based on color....does that mean you purposely choose skins with more brown? Or do you mean you look for dyed partridge skins? I am unsure of what you mean.
I mean the former, Kelly -- more strikingly marked brown coloration, which is the shade of partridge that John Shaner says is what the North Country tyers preferred. To my mind, dying a prime partridge skin would amount to sacrilege (unless it happened to be picric of course ;) )
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Or blue dun. ;) :D

I am going to do some experimenting here Bill with your technique on other feathers. I have some that I wanted to tie with from various species that were just too large.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Picric definitely came to my mind. Now that would be cool. Thank for sharing your thoughts on the brown colored skins. I will have to remember that the next time I buy one. I won't need one for quite a while though...
Izaak

Post by Izaak » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:20 pm

You've got it down, my friend! Wish I did. How about a step-by-step photo tutorial? ;)

Tom
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Izaak wrote:You've got it down, my friend! Wish I did. How about a step-by-step photo tutorial? ;)

Tom
Ditto
tjd

Post by tjd » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:39 am

Bill,

Well done, sir.

I find that the stem thickness and shape sometimes buggers me up more than the length of the hackle fibers.

There's always a solution to every tying challenge, and you have presented an elegant and practical option.

Best,

Tim