Grouse and Seal Hare Blend 1524

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Grouse and Seal Hare Blend 1524

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:21 pm

A pattern that I tied a pile of after some very memorable success with a similar pattern last season. I think I only carried a couple of these with such a long tail and hackles compared to the more compact flies I usually tie. This next season I intend to put this style to use more. It's not a particular species, although if you wanted it wouldn't be hard to start assigning ento relationships. The dubbing blend is a mix of hares poll, cinnamon seal and natural seal pre-spun on white silk.

Hook: Orvis 1524 #14
Thread: 14/0
Hackle: Ruffed Grouse (Thanks to Tim Didas)
Tail: grouse fibers
Rib: medium gold tinsel
Body: dubbing blend is a mix of hares poll, cinnamon seal and natural seal pre-spun on white silk on a Clark's Block. The pic doesn't do this blend justice. It's really vibrant and buggy.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Re: Grouse and Seal Hare Blend 1524

Post by tie2fish » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:02 am

Lovely profile; the proportions look just right to me. As you suggest, w, the photo does not show what one would expect to be a more reddish-brown body color given the components.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:34 am

Fluorescent lighting, maybe? It has a green cast on my computer at work.
I like this. I'm adding a Ruffed Grouse to my wishlist. (Maybe I can get a regular grouse and pet it the wrong way?)
Thanks for posting this.

Kirk

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:59 am

That's funny, Kirk!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:43 pm

This is beautifully tied William. The proportions of each part really work here. I like the long tails. The ruffed grouse is nice to tie with but I never thought too much of it color wise. It just didn't have anything special about it that set it apart as something I would go searching for. The patterns of the feathers are always a little washed out and the color just to common. It sounds like I'm knocking it and that is not the case. It's a very good dark brown soft feather. I prefer the English grouse skins as they are a little less drab. I usually just use a mottled brown India hen for the ruffed grouse. Easier to find.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:38 pm

Nice work William. A longer tailed fuller hackled chubby looking bug.
I also see a green cast to the colouration of the body, but I bet the fly is very different in the hand compared to the photograph. I think the body in the photograph is "borrowing" some colour from the gold rib.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'm really happy with the dubbing blend for this fly and the duller tones on the white silk really do complement the hackle and tail.

The light temperature for this is fine, no conventional fluorescents were used. In the hand the dubbing blend has a lot of the natural seal and cinnamon seal spilling out and causing trouble, but once it's all tamed it seems the magic is compressed into a mottled unit. It works, who can argue with that?
Old Hat wrote:The ruffed grouse is nice to tie with but I never thought too much of it color wise. It just didn't have anything special about it that set it apart as something I would go searching for. The patterns of the feathers are always a little washed out and the color just to common. It sounds like I'm knocking it and that is not the case. It's a very good dark brown soft feather. I prefer the English grouse skins as they are a little less drab.
Agreed. The contrast and the color intensity of the ruffed grouse don't compare to the English red grouse or even other stateside species, but maybe drab isn't quite so bad when insects are involved. The ruffed grouse really has quite a range, and mostly all on the muted sign.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Very well done William. It is always a pleasure to see your work, and skill. Drab? Not even.
tjd

Post by tjd » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:38 pm

William,

Great looking pattern, and no surprise that it fishes well!

I'm glad you were able to put the feathers to good use...I've not even flushed one to shoot at this year!

Nicely done, sir!

Best,

Tim
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:42 pm

William, this fly is outstanding!