Green Ass Caddis

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Green Ass Caddis

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:30 pm

I tied something like this years ago and I can't remember how well they fished. No reason to think they wouldn't be attractive, and when I saw a length of this chenille in my box from my inchworm days on Clark's in Central PA many years ago, I just thought...why not. It seems a little like cheating. I believe I had tenkara on my mind when I tied these.

Ruffed Grouse hackle, pine squirrel/beaver mix thorax.

"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
redietz

Re: Green Ass Caddis

Post by redietz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:03 pm

William Anderson wrote: I saw a length of this chenille in my box from my inchworm days on Clark's in Central PA many years ago,
Funny you should mention that. I was teaching a tying class this evening for rank beginners, with the pattern being green weenie. I told them not to go to Clark's without some.

I see no reason that fly shouldn't work. Might be just the thing on the Tulpehocken.
Bob
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:53 am

That is very cool, W. I remember seeing something similar in a magazine a while back that had a couple of long swept back bronze mallard antennae on it. Visually attractive but not very practical I think. Yours looks much more sturdy. How did you taper the chenille butt?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Very nice. Similar to the Fox Pupa. A great pattern here on the West.

Probably the one you saw Bill.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:55 pm

I tye a similar fly, but with a cream colored abdomen. Nice fly William. Great to see you back at the vise.

Your on a roll. More please...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:16 pm

Oh yeah, I've seen that pattern. I certainly knew the design was around, but this looks more like something I would come up with. Anything to make something simpler. The chenille butt is tapered with a proximity to a lighter. A couple of seconds with the flame about a half inch away and it's a tidy finish.

Bob, it's great to see the Greenie getting some love. It's the "go to" on that stream. I haven't tied any for some time, but I bet somewhere I have a small army of them. :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:04 am

Hi William, nice fly, I tie one with an orange "tail" and its name is a Palomino midge.

greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks, Ruard. That's another pattern I've hard of and haven't fooled with, although I hear it's a great one to carry. I'll have to look it up.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:43 pm

This is a super cool fly. You did a magnificent job on it too. :D