Hidy Style Tups

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Hidy Style Tups

Post by tie2fish » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 pm

As our good friend Gingerdun Hidy has pointed out to me, his father did a lot of experimenting with the Tups Indispensable pattern, producing flies that were quite un-Pete-like in the sense that he used brightly colored dubbing materials and, on occasion, threads on them. Here's my version of a combination of materials that show up on several of the flies in Lance's collection:

Hook: 13, 14, or 15. Long shank mayfly (Mustad R50U, Size #14)
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer silk, #5 yellow
Hackle: Medium honey dun hen
Tail whisks: Honey dun
Rib: Small gold wire
Body: Yellow wool and relatively red Tups dubbing spun in sequence in yellow silk on Clark block

Last edited by tie2fish on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Re: Hidy Style Tups

Post by Old Hat » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:45 pm

VII ? You have been busy. :D

You are getting PH's style down Bill. To my eyes they seem very authentic. I like this tuppish flymph you have shown. It seems toned down just enough to be very alive and flying just under the attractor radar.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi Bill, I could imagine that you are a reincarnation of V.S.Hidy: ;) If lance need some new flies to put pictures in the book he really can ask you to tie them

Just kidding but I admire your adoption of the style!!

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Number seven looks like one lucky number! Beautifully done Bill.

I am hoping Lance will chime in and add some comparison photos.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Bill,
Off the scale beautiful and classy looking! I'm simply going to have to try harder when I tie the next series of Tups and have a big, poster size picture of this one hanging over my desk for comparison! It is gorgeous Bill! Very well done!
Always a fan,
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:02 am

As Bill knows, I have been educated by his investigation into Pete's tying style and philosophy—much of which he has shared with me off-line. Leisenring tied the Tups fly in ATWF after the British model, with thread abdomen and fur thorax, same as the Half Stone. But Pete gradually moved away from thread abdomens, preferring fur bodies with careful blends of texture and color. The Tups is a good example. On some, he spun a two-tone body, orange and yellow, as Bill did here. Other times Pete mixed the yellow and red-orange uniformly the length of the hook, a true flymph, as in this example:

I probably have about a dozen Tups tied by Pete, and no two are alike. Hackles range from blue dun, to dark honey dun, to light ginger. Tying silks range from black, to hot orange, to primrose. Hooks go from size 10 to 16. Fur ranges from seal, to angora mohair, to sheep, to blends with fox or hare's cheek. When there was a rib, it was either of gold or silver wire or gold tinsel. And some have short tails or long tails, or no tail at all.

Of special interest in the fly above is the perfect cone of the head. In this instance, the shape has a double purpose. First to complete the cigar-shape, double taper that was a hallmark of his flies; and second, to flatten the barbs down over the body by making three full wraps of silk over the base of the hackle.

He fished these with great success in Oregon and Idaho. When he made gifts of flies to his fishing friends, a few of these Hidy Tups Flymphs were always included.

Bill, Thanks for helping me to see and understand this fly better than I ever had done before.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:07 am

Great looking flies! I would love to fish them as a 2 fly cast with Bill's wire weighted version on point. ;)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:35 am

tie2fish, Howdy;

Bill, exquisite looking fly! dialing in to a Nat's a** from what my eyes
can tell.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:36 am

gingerdun, Howdy;

Is the rib on that Tups thread or something else?
Didn't see it mentioned in the write up so, thought I'd ask.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Hank,
What you are seeing is not a rib, but rather the primrose thread that the body was spun on.
The dubbing is sparse enough so the thread shows through in places.