Hidy Stonefly?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Hidy Stonefly?

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:25 am

I tied this based on a combination of the recipe given for Pete Hidy's "Stone Fly" in the T. Donald Overfield book "Famous Flies and their Originators" and a scan provided by Lance (Gingerdun) Hidy of a fly found in his father's vintage fly wallet. It looks as though it may have been intended to imitate the salmonfly that both Western trout and flyfishers cherish.

Hook: Mustad 94831, Size #12
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer #19, hot orange
Head hackle: Dark cream hen
Ribbing hackle: Dark honey hen
Body: Blend of 80% orange wool/18% yellow wool/2% hare's poll spun on Clark block with hot orange thread

[Image
Last edited by tie2fish on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Hidy Stonefly?

Post by letumgo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:53 am

Bill - First off, what a great fishing fly. I love the body profile and the way you've hackled the fly. Beautiful.

Secondly, the engineer in me loves the precision of your dubbing blend. Two percent hare's poll, huh? You know this is going to cause me fits. Is this two percent measured by fiber count, or by mass? :D ;) :lol: :lol:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:57 am

Serious questions - Did you use two separate hackles for the fly? The body hackle looks shorter and less webby than the hackle near the head. Did you use feathers from the saddle and cape?

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Ray:
1. The dubbing blend percentages are approximate based on the size (volume) of the little piles that get thrown into the blender
2. The neck hackle is a dark cream hen saddle feather
3. The body hackle is a dark honey hen cape feather
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks Bill. Precisely what I was looking for. ;)

Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Quite nice Bill. I have not really thought of fishing the salmon fly hatch with a wingless wet before. Generally sice they crawl to dry land and emerge. I have always fished it dry. However, this may work quite well as a drowned salmon fly pattern.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:09 pm

Bill, I think this fly would surely get the attention of the fish around here...I love the colors, and choice of materials, and of course, the TYING! :D
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Wow Bill...I like It!!
I am imagining a stone fly from underneath and how your pattern matches that perfectly! Also, when sunk this would be the perfect pattern to have on! It's wide range of applications works! And it just looks good! You are one talented tyer Bill! Thanks for sharing this with us! It is real eye candy!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.