Mach 1: Western Green Drake Subsurface Emerger
  • Hook: Knapek Czech Nymph #8
  • Weight: 10 Turns 0.01" lead wire
  • Thread: Olive 12/0 Bennechi
  • Tail: 3-4 Strands olive-brown dyed pheasant tail
  • Rib: Chartreuse Uni 3/0 monocord
  • Body: Dark and medium olive dyed squirrel
  • Hackle 1: Dyed amber grizzly cock hackle leading edge stripped
  • Hackle 2: Olive dyed hen saddle (leave enough basal fluff on stem for at least 1 complete wrap)
  • Hackle 3: Olive dyed Hungarian partridge flank
My last outing drove home to me how very big this insect can be. While I have a very effective surface emerger pattern for the green drake, I needed something that would work subsurface. This is what I hit on.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Mach 1: Western Green Drake Subsurface Emerger

Post by William Anderson » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:09 am

Aaron,

Let me be the first to say that is a great looking pattern. On the East coast (U.S.) we spend thought trying to make patterns sparse enough to approximate the naturals, but there are a couple that require some substance. Nice job layering the materials to get that quality. I haven't spent a lot of time tying Drake patterns, other than the Iso's.

Did you dye your materials yourself? That looks like a good match to the natural.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
VERN-O

Post by VERN-O » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:21 am

Skunkaroo....very nice work and I really like the monocord rib....when I first looked I thought it was wire and then I was glad to see the monocord......excellent!
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:25 am

William: I only dyed the amber grizzly hackle. I don't know about you, but the olive and olive browns have always been the most difficult for me to get right when it comes to dying. For these colours (and hot pink cerise) I will buy pre-dyed for the time being.

The Western green drakes are far from "Sparse" in real life. Here is a small one that a friend managed to capture when fishing. Below that a shot of the nymph. The adults can get upwards of 1 & 3/4". I find that the problem with designing a pattern for them is not imitating legs and wings, but the very thick short abdomen. In spite of the full appearance, the hackle on the fly above looks incredibly translucent when wet.

Vern-o: For the drakes I always use floss or thread for rib. Wire or oval tinsels are both garish and don't mimic the muted rib on the natural. Thanks for the compliment.

Aaron

BTW The lead wrapping is not the usual for a soft hackle, but getting this large hackle to break the water tension is difficult hence its inclusion.
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:01 pm

WOW! Kick-Ass pattern, Aaron! Top knotch tying...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean