Sulphur-PMD Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Eric Peper

Re: Sulphur-PMD Flymph

Post by Eric Peper » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:05 am

This one is still my favorite, both for sulphurs and for PMDs.

It's pretty self-explanatory, but for the record

Hook: 3906B 16
Thread: Benecchi 12/0 olive
Tail: Woodduck flank fibers
Abdomen: Pheasant tail
Rib: Fine copper wire
Thorax: Spirit River "Fine & Dry" PMD dubbing
Hackle: Valley Quail

Eric

A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:29 am

Eric - Beautiful fly. Bill gave me a few flies that looked similar to yours. That worked like a charm on Spring Creek.

Love the Vally quail hackle. Great idea.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm

letumgo wrote:Eric - Beautiful fly. Bill gave me a few flies that looked similar to yours. That worked like a charm on Spring Creek.

Love the Vally quail hackle. Great idea.
Thanks, Ray. I grabbed that quail cape from a "sale" barrel in Mike Lawson's shop on the Henry's Fork several years ago. It has the perfect size and color feathers for 16 emergers and even smaller. I felt lucky to spy it -- particularly since I think I paid two bucks. :-)

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:55 pm

If I didn't already own two, I'd offer you three bucks for yours. ;-) (humor)

You got a great bargain for 2 bucks.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:03 pm

Great looking pattern Eric. I do not have access to Valley Quail. Any suggestion what might make a good substitute?
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:40 am

DUBBN wrote:Great looking pattern Eric. I do not have access to Valley Quail. Any suggestion what might make a good substitute?
To be honest, I use whatever seems will be a good match coming out of the "softhackle" drawer. I've used grizzly hen, medium dun hen, woodcock all with equally good results. That said, the valley quail is my favorite. The key (I think) is the combo of pheasant tail and PMD-colored thorax.

Eric
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:46 am

Eric Peper wrote:
DUBBN wrote:Great looking pattern Eric. I do not have access to Valley Quail. Any suggestion what might make a good substitute?
To be honest, I use whatever seems will be a good match coming out of the "softhackle" drawer. I've used grizzly hen, medium dun hen, woodcock all with equally good results. That said, the valley quail is my favorite. The key (I think) is the combo of pheasant tail and PMD-colored thorax.

Eric

Awesome! I was going to use some Speckled hen. It's the closest I have to your pattern.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:53 am

Deadly looking fly Bill!