DUBBN

Squirrel Belly (variation)

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Size 12

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Squirrel Belly (variation)

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Fantastic! Superbly fishy (sincere compliment).

You tie a mean fly, sir.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:17 pm

Thank you Ray. It has taken a lot of years of practice o tie a pattern this ugly.

Many years ago I was told there is no wrong way to tie a Gold Ribbed Hares Ear nymph, as long as the end result is ugly. I believe this pattern falls in to the same category.
tjd

Post by tjd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:41 am

That's a great looking fly! I love seeing well tied "fishing flies." That fly will hammer trout and panfish all day long.

Well thought out and tied.

Best,

Tim
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:30 am

Outstanding effect! Buggy as all get out, Wayne. That's a pattern that Orvis might be interested in -- seriously.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:33 am

Wayne - Did you make this dubbing blend? Care to share the formula?

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:42 am

letumgo wrote:Wayne - Did you make this dubbing blend? Care to share the formula?
Yes Ray, I made the "blend". A fly shop in Glenwood Springs, Colorado sells a Soft Hackle pattern (bead head) named the Squirrel Belly. My fishing buddy prefers to purchase them rather than try to tie them. The original pattern has lots of colors added to it. Red, Orange, Purple, Blue, Yellow, yet done in such a subtle manner I had to really look hard to see that anything had been added to the fur. I opt for Red Antron, and Bright Yellow SLF only. Both materials are cut in to 1/4 inch lengths beofre being blended with the SLF Squirrel Dubbing, and Amber rabbit fur. For a few years I used Red and Yellow strung Woolly Bugger hackles (barbules) cut in 1/4 inch lengths for my dubbing.

Sorry I do not have a precise ratio for this blend. I do not use it enough to worry about it. Funny (to me), but I mix the blend till it looks like natural hares mask. I am sure hares mask would work just fine, but I prefer the stiff spikes of the squirrel for this pattern.

This is a pattern that I use exclusively during high stained water. Once the waters recede I will go back to a Peacock and Partridge, size 16-12, and smaller Soft hackles in sizes 18-14 (Muskrat, Tan caddis, Tups, etc..)

I fish these larger patterns on a 1x - 3x tippet. I rarely lose any to fish, but once in a while to a snag. In high stained water I can get away with large tippet.

Thanks for the kind words folks.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:15 am

Wayne - Perfect! Exactly the information I was hoping for. The photos and description are very helpful.

I would like to make up a batch of this dubbing blend and tye up some "Raccoons" with it (Skip Morris sea trout pattern). I've had a lot of luck with the Raccoon, over a number seasons. I think your dubbing blend would make a great variation, along with your "Squirrel Belly" pattern.

Thank you, sir, for sharing the dubbing blend and taking time to photograph the mixture ratios.

For a few years I used Red and Yellow strung Woolly Bugger hackles (barbules) cut in 1/4 inch lengths for my dubbing.

Very interesting. I have never tried this. Were you using the hackle fibers to get small spikes of color in the dubbing blend? Cool idea, and one which opens up a whole range of new dubbing blend components.

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:19 am

DUBBN, Howdy;

Great lookin' flies. I'm likin' the spikiness and overall
appearance of these. Sort of a casual dress version
of Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel, one without all the
complicated directions.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:06 pm

I think Hank nailed it. I second that!
hankaye wrote:DUBBN, Howdy;

Great lookin' flies. I'm likin' the spikiness and overall
appearance of these. Sort of a casual dress version
of Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel, one without all the
complicated directions.

hank