A Fly Wallet Project: Part One

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: A Fly Wallet Project: Part One

Post by William Anderson » Wed May 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks so much for all the kind comments and encouragement. I really enjoy projects like this. It gives me a reason to reevaluate what I'm tying and how, revisiting the classics with updated understanding and a critical look at my essential patterns that I carry.

A primary reason for the wallet project is (do any of us need a reason?) that when showing flies while doing demos it always feels off in a way to show my "Flymph" box, plastic and foam and hard to see what's what. The wallet I think will help with conversation, comparing several flies side by side. I would like to fill a couple pages with NCS, a couple with historic JL/PH/Skues flies and the rest with my own favorites. So I will not be carrying this wallet on the water, although I am still charmed by the smaller wallets I made a bit ago. The wet felt issue does concern me, but I have quite a collection of wallets, most all of them came with flies in them, tied on gut, etc. and there were a couple that showed some rust, but then they are nearing a century old and most all the flies are in great shape so someone managed to care for them. I'll have to photograph the wallets at some point. It's an artifact from our history that resonates with me stronger than any other.

Please pardon the pic heavy indulgence of this thread. I always like to show the beginnings of a project because they always evolve and the process is interesting to me. Chris asked about this wallet. I have for quite a few (8+) wallets removed the original plastic plates that have clips and springs on them for the flies tied on gut if that's what's in them. Most come right out with a couple of pins. I've replaced the innards of the wallets (those with felt and those with plastic and clips) with wool felt (not the craft store type) and had a friend stitch the pages together. The size and condition of this one is my favorite. The leather has taken quite a bit of conditioning and treatment, and I've had all the seams and stitching work redone.

After the Refurbish

Before the Refurbish

A few of my favorite wallets. Note a couple with the exact latch as the Hidy Wallet. I've never seen one exactly like it, however.

A few orange spiders in both #19 and #6a

A few Williams Favorites

Thanks again. I hope to move forward on several fronts with my tying and fishing these flies.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Wed May 14, 2014 9:24 pm

Very, very nice. Thanks. Your "before" photo is pretty much the way I remember my dad's wallet. I don't remember him fishing snelled flies but it did have the hooks and spring. If I recall, my grandfather's wallet was full of snelled flies.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Thu May 15, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi William,

Like the flies in your new wallet, but more the picture of the old wallets, even on the computer I smell the flavor of the fish.

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu May 15, 2014 7:19 pm

But if you remove the snell holder from the wallet, how are you going to keep the gut damp? :)
Bob
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Thu May 15, 2014 11:13 pm

William, the flies, wallets, and photos are outstanding. Wow. Beauties, ALL OF THEM. :D
tjd

Post by tjd » Fri May 16, 2014 5:53 am

William,

As always, I'm amazed at your craftsmanship. Very nice flies and re-worked fly books. Classy, and classic.

Hope you are able to get some fishing in...

Tim
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri May 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks again, everyone. I'll post an update, hopefully sooner than later. Right now I'm so focused on the trip...I can hardly wait. :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri May 16, 2014 1:00 pm

That's quite a collection of wallets, Will. Each one very unique I'm sure. I'll tell you what, you come up with some pretty great ideas. This one no exception. I hope this comes with to MT ;)

Not to get your mind jogging because I know how busy you are, but how cool would a traditional leather wallet be with Amadou pages?
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed May 21, 2014 6:42 am

William,
Absolutely fantastic post!! The wallets and flies are top notch! I still have the beautiful new wallet that you gave to me at Roscoe Rendezvous #1 and I have a line on my "den work" list that reads to the effect....Fill Williams wallet with favorite patterns... As you can tell, I am about three years behind! Your tying, although you seem to feel that you are a bit rusty, is excellent! Between yours and dearest Bill's tyings, I sense a certain history being made! I want to encourage you to keep on filling the wallet(s) and posting your progress on the forum! This gives all of us an unparalleled benchmark to shoot for in our creatings!
Excellent, Excellent work William!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.