Partridge and Orange

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

zen leecher

Partridge and Orange

Post by zen leecher » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:40 am

I tied up some extra Partridge and Orange for the Yellowstone trip. As I was putting them in the soft hackle fly box I discovered I had a few variations of this pattern.

I have P&O tied with the orange rayon floss that doesn't change color much when wet. Some of these date back to the 80's.
Other P&O are with the primrose bodies and hot orange bodies.
Then I broke out the english grouse for darker hackle.

It would be nice if I had less upon returning from Yellowstone.

On the rayon floss versions I had a local pond I used to fish. I'd throw the fly out and let it settle to the bottom. One could see the trout pod as they'd cruise the pond. Once they got in the area my fly had settled I'd start pulling back on my fly line to get the fly to climb to the surface. It worked about every time. I thought they were taking it for an orangish scud or possibly an emerging caddis. The fish were really skittish in this pond and any extra movement would spook them.
tie2fish

Re: Partridge and Orange

Post by tie2fish » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:45 am

Clever tactic ... a stillwater Leisenring lift.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:30 pm

If you ever get the chance to fish the Tasmanian Lakes or some of the shallow Lake margins here in NZ - use exactly the same tactics if the trout are not actively rising and the results will be the same. ;)
Never hurts to carry variations of a pattern, sometimes slight variations will be the difference between catching and being skunked.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:20 pm

One can't have too many Partridge & Orange (or Partridge & Hare's Ear) in the Yellowstone country. Although I haven't tried the rayon floss bodied version I'm sure it will catch and probably very well. I tie both light and dark P&Os and sometimes the fish do show a preference. Going to dress and extra dozen tonight!
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:40 pm

Greenwell wrote:One can't have too many Partridge & Orange (or Partridge & Hare's Ear) in the Yellowstone country. Although I haven't tried the rayon floss bodied version I'm sure it will catch and probably very well. I tie both light and dark P&Os and sometimes the fish do show a preference. Going to dress and extra dozen tonight!
Rayon was all I had back when I discovered Nemes' books. It wasn't until after meeting Ron Eagle Elk that I ventured into Pearsall's silk threadd.

I see some Partridge and Hare's Ear once I finish up the Red Spiders I'm working on.
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:29 pm

zen leecher wrote: I thought they were taking it for an orangish scud ...
Interesting. Skues very early on hypothesized that a Partridge and Orange was often taken for a scud.
Bob