Firehole Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Firehole Flymph

Post by Roadkill » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Hook-Mustad 3906 #16
Body- Beaver dyed Avocado
Collar- Tan Zelon
Hackle- One turn of Partridge (Brown Phase)

ImageB0061803 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

This is my new tie for the White Miller on the Firehole River after the few days of fly fishing with some other patterns during the Flymph Forum Rendezvous. Can't wait to return to try it out on some more new water like this....

ImageB0061732 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
My thanks to all the FF members there for the great time and memories!
Last edited by Roadkill on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Hat

Re: Firehole Flymph

Post by Old Hat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:03 pm

Looks like a great day to be on the Firehole.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:50 pm

How did that work for you? I did not get a single hit on a White Miller imitation. Ours were on Ron's wilted cabbage, a March Brown emerger which looked close to a caddis, or a PMD comparadun.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:34 pm

zen,

I caught several fish on white miller soft hackles. Most were on a traditional White Miller Soft Hackle tied as usual by following the Blue Ribbon Fies pattern like my following tie that I have used for years...
ImageB0061804 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

On Thursday night I tied up my new IBF White Miller SH in Cabin 11.
ImageB0061801 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

This also worked for me but I really didn't get to test it out very well since the White Millers and fish weren't as active as the weather improved. The Firehole Flymph just came off my vise a few hours ago to see if following some colors on the adult Millers I finally grabbed during my last day of fishing would improve the fly.
Last edited by Roadkill on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:09 pm

I did manage a couple of Firehole fish with the Cabin 11 holographic body White Miller fly you gave to me, Bill, but there weren't many of the real thing evident on the days I was there either. I've a hunch it would slay on the right day in the right section of the river.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:44 pm

Bill (Roadkill), these are fantastic and would have easily found a place on my line. By mid week I started thing a partridge and orange (6a) with a long, sparse thorax of red fox and it performed very well for me and a few others. Eric (Smuggler) was piling up white miller patterns similar to your original and I took several on those and I know he did as well. And lastly the Holo bodied soft-hackle worked out very well. I tied a few before heading west and was happy they did well. I wished I had more time to try out more patterns but there were days when the partridge and hare was indispensable, so it dominated my fishing time.

These are spot on and I can see how the experiences and combination of patterns would lead you to the new Firehole Flymph. The key seemed to be small, sparse and and mobile. Who would have suspected anything else. There were lots of patterns that did well including the dries, nymphs and streamers. But I enjoyed fishing these small softies much more than anything else.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:43 am

I'll post a thread later on the white miller.