Eye up hooks

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fflutterffly

Eye up hooks

Post by fflutterffly » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:14 am

I'm looking for a good resource for eye up hooks. Anyone? Anyone?
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
tie2fish

Re: Eye up hooks

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:48 am

If you can find them, the old Mustad 94842 hooks are first rate. I always check the bargain bins at fly shops and miscellaneous hook displays in vendor booths at shows. Probably wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on E-Bay as well. This discontinued model is far superior IMO to the "new and Improved" R50U.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Try, http://www.dettetroutflies.com Joe did have some.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks both. I just order the Partridge O1 - Single Wilson Hooks from Dette
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:34 pm

Not sure you are still looking, but I like these. http://www.blackmagictackle.com/shop/freshwater.html
Not cheap by any means, but there are 30 per pack versus the usual 25. Good strong forged medium wire hooks with nice up turned eye.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:10 pm

I see the Mustads for sale at Anglers Workshop (online).
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:50 pm

For small soft-hackle flies, my favorite is the Daiichi 1150 up-eye, readily available in #10 down to #22. Handsome & sticks em quick. These are small barbed & easy to remove, though you'd have to pinch the barb if you want barbless.
Donald Nicolson

Post by Donald Nicolson » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:09 am

Traditionally here in UK, up-eyed hooks were for dry flies. Historically up-eyed hooks were the first eyed hooks on the market and they appeared at about the same time as flies specifically designed for dry fly fishing appeared. The traditional wet fly fishermen, who dressed on snelled hooks, ignored anything introduced by southern 'dilletante' (excuse spelling) dry fly fishermen.
As the manufacturers developed down-eyed hooks at increasingly cheaper d/e hooks, they were adopted by the wet fly fishermen, thus setting the 'iron rule', up-eyed for dry and down-eyed for wet. It is nice to see all that obsessive nonsense is being ignored.
What suits the dresser/individual is all that matters.
Well!! I've had my wee rant for a while. ;)
Donald Nicolson alias DNicolson

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:44 am

A hook with a more traditional shape than the Daiichi 1150 is the Daiichi 1330, which comes in sizes 16-24.

I suspect Jim Slattery can get them for you but you might have to order 10 packages in the same size (or put together a group order of 10).

William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:56 am

CM_Stewart wrote:A hook with a more traditional shape than the Daiichi 1150 is the Daiichi 1330, which comes in sizes 16-24.

I suspect Jim Slattery can get them for you but you might have to order 10 packages in the same size (or put together a group order of 10).

Steve, I'm partial to that line as well. 1150, 1250 for the kinds of flies that fit those hooks. Easy to find and rock solid, never a question.

Chris, thanks for the reminder, I either need to find the stash that I have of these and forgotten about, or find a way to add them to the mix. Love that profile.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com