Sulphur Transition Soft-Hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Sulphur Transition Soft-Hackle

Post by William Anderson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:58 pm

I know there are dozens of these posted around and I've done a number of versions in the past. This past week I sat down with a couple of Bill Shuck's sulphur emerges and transition soft-hackles on my desk. I'm a slow learner and I should have jumped on the band wagon a few years ago after watching him clean up using sulphur emergers, nymphs and his favorite comparadun.

I wanted to shed my boxes of the bulk of the patterns that have been successful, but lack the rationale, reproducibility and consistency that I see other masters at the craft carrying in their boxes and landing trout all day long. Watch Bill outfish us during a March Brown hatch, or a Green Drake hatch, or late season when all they want are ants. Ask him what he took that last nice one on...sulphur flymph. sulphur emerger. little yellow comparadun. In Montana in mid June while trying to sort out what fish were taking I watched him land some beaut's in big water and of course when I get down to him, "what did you get him on?" "He took the little sulphur nymph behind the emerger, but the last one took the emerger." Of course.

I'm looking forward to casting a few of these out this season, and I certainly don't want to be on the water without a few. Comparaduns either. I've learned my lesson. 1. It's the fisherman and the presentation and not the pattern (nothing I can do about that but watch and learn) and 2. trout love these sulphur emerging softies. :D

"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Re: Sulphur Transition Soft-Hackle

Post by tie2fish » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:14 pm

This transition soft hackle of yours should be an extremely successful pattern just prior to and during the early stages of a sulfur hatch, William. The dark ribbed abdomen/light thorax combo is what the fish are used to seeing from this particular mayfly, and the hackle collar (is that plover?) has just enough barring to suggest expanding immature wings. Beautifully tied.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:27 pm

Makes me pine for spring already. Tie enough to go around. :D :(
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
novabass

Post by novabass » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Beautiful fly William! I really like the overall look and the hackle is superb.
FrankenFly <--my website
Where fly tying comes to life!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks fellas. I'll have a handful of these with me all season. Spring hatches sure seem a long way away. :(
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:45 pm

William Anderson wrote:Thanks fellas. I'll have a handful of these with me all season. Spring hatches sure seem a long way away. :(
FWIW, I took a trout yesterday on a Lil Dorothy. There may not be any sulfurs around, but the trout seem to remember what they look like.
Bob
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:49 pm

That's interesting Bob, a "Lil Dorothy". This time of year I mean but then I have heard of a fellow taking trout in Iowa on a hopper in January. Now that I think about it he may have nearly said it the same way you did. The trout remembered what they looked like. Speaking of remembering, thanks for reminding me of our friend Mark Libertone and his "Lil Dorothy".

Regards, Jerry
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:09 pm

That is a great looking pattern William, I am sure if you do your bit and get the presentation near enough the trout will not hesitate.
Pretty sure I have seen similar style/colour pattern flies from Eric, perhaps he might chime in with his experience?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:38 pm

William,
Excellent post and the pattern is unbelievable! I just cannot believe how good this fly looks! You really are one of this countries best tyers! Please keep a steady stream of your wonderful patterns coming our way! Wow!
Yours in the Den,
D.
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:11 am

You tie a beautiful fly Will. One of the things I love about your flies is how purposeful they are, you always seem to be distilling your patterns down into their purest form and function. You're a real inspiration mate :)