Coontail Spider - Size #16

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Coontail Spider - Size #16

Post by tie2fish » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:31 am

The blend of raccoon tail underfur and hare's poll posted recently in the "Tying" section struck me as being eminently caddis-like. Hence, the Coontail Spider (with a "thank you" nod to the Leisenring Spider pattern):

Hook: Daiichi 1530, Size #16
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer #3, primrose
Rib: Braided gold tinsel, fine
Body: 50/50 blend of raccoon tail underfur and hare's poll spun in primrose silk on Clark block

Last edited by tie2fish on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Coontail Spider - Size #16

Post by William Anderson » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:42 am

Wow, that spun body really came off sparse and slight. Not what I expected from the material. The block technique does a lot to tame some heavier materials but this goes to show, it takes a keen hand to produce such a delicate little body like this for a#16 caddis. Absolutely beautiful.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:44 am

A capital killer, for sure.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:50 am

Great technique Bill. Those darn Daiichi 1530, Size #16 hooks are more like an 18 of other manufacturers. Pretty dang good tying on such a small hook.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks guys. As Ray pointed out privately, I forget to list the partridge hackle in the recipe. Halfheimers ...
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:31 am

Lol, sometimes I think mine is Allzheimers.
What is the silk like to finger dub as opposed to Uni thread? Thank you.

tie2fish wrote:Thanks guys. As Ray pointed out privately, I forget to list the partridge hackle in the recipe. Halfheimers ...
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:00 pm

Bill prior to wrapping your hackle have you stripped one side of hackle barbs or have you left all barbs in tact? Whatever the case this is a very nice looking soft hackle.

Regards, Jerry
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Tim ~ I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "finger dub", but since it has more surface texture than does Uni-Thread, Pearsall's Gossamer silk holds dubbing at least as well. It also splits more easily, holds wax nicely for touch dubbing, and will accommodate twist dubbing if you twist in the proper direction.

Jerry ~ The partridge was not stripped; some other hackle feathers with higher barb density (grouse, plover, hen, etc) might look better doing that, but for purposes of flymph-style hackling, small partridge feathers usually do not.
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:24 pm

That is where you moisten your fingers and twist the dubbin on the thread. Typically, I twist the dubbin in a clockwise direction on the thread, but with silk, I was wondering how it would take to being twisted in such a manner. Thank you.
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
novabass

Post by novabass » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:32 pm

That came out really nice! I'm glad the underfur worked for you Bill.
Great little fly!
FrankenFly <--my website
Where fly tying comes to life!