Dark Spanish Needle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redietz

Re: Dark Spanish Needle

Post by redietz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:41 am

PhilA wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:13 am
William Anderson wrote:I was wondering what makes this Spanish. Doesn't matter but the question occurred to me. Thanks for saying this one.
William,
The Dark Spanish Needle (known also as a Needle Brown and Dark Needle) imitates small dark stoneflies (genus Leuctra) of the North Country. "Needle" of the name refers to the long and strikingly thin body of Leuctra adults, which roll their wings tightly around the body when at rest. "Spanish" refers to the color of the adult wings, which are a dark steely blue similar to that of unpolished steel sewing needles. Such needles were imported by England from Spain in large numbers in the early 19th century, which is when John Swarbrick first gave the fly its name (Wharfedale Flies, 1807). --Phil
Not quite true, there's an intermediate step. "Spanish needle" refers to seeds of plants of the genus Bidens. You're probably familiar with them as "hitchhikers."

(If that image doesn't show up, it's at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... les_3.jpeg

You could just lash the seeds onto a hook, and have a passable stonefly imitation. The needle flies were name after the seeds.

I'm not sure why England would import needles. In the 19th century, something like 90% of the world's supply were made in Redditch. Sort of like carrying coals to Newcastle.
Bob
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:30 pm

…….But it was a good story!!!! :shock:
Soft and wet - the only way....
Brooktrout52

Post by Brooktrout52 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:56 pm

Great looking fly and fascinating background information.
Bishthefish1

Post by Bishthefish1 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:23 am

Since rediscovering soft hackles a few years ago, the Dark Spanish Needle is one of my go to flies early and late season. Both the river Tees and the little river Leven have good hatches of these tiny stone flies.
'Most anglers spend their lives making rules for trout,
and trout spend theirs breaking them'
- George Aston