A good day. Partridge and Orange Thorax

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

A good day. Partridge and Orange Thorax

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Had a good couple of hours tying today. Ever have those days when nothing seems to come of the vise quite right? Then there are those days when it is all just clicking. I sat down to fill the boxes today with Partridge and various colors. It was a good day.

Partridge and Orange

Hook: Partridge spider #16
Thread: Pearsall's silk the new 6A waxed with cobbler's wax.
Hackle: Partridge
Thorax: Dark hare's ear

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
crazy4oldcars

Re: A good day. Partridge and Orange Thorax

Post by crazy4oldcars » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:28 pm

This is the Pearsall's from the new manufacturer/owner? Notice any real differences?
Glad you had a good day tying. Although your bad days make mine look sh......uh, worse, lol
Great looking contribution.

Kirk
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:25 pm

I can't really say how it compares. I had some of the original long ago but haven't had any for a while so I can't remember. Seems close though.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:17 am

crazy4oldcars wrote:This is the Pearsall's from the new manufacturer/owner? Notice any real differences?
Kirk
I believe the outfit that had picked up where Pearsall left off is called Langley, but someone recently told me that the gentleman who did their dye work had died himself.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:45 pm

One of my favorite dressings. Flawlessly done. That'll do...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:19 pm

Carl, this really did turn out nice. It has a very classic look about it on that hook and longer hackles. I like the dark thorax here as well. You did have a good day.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Great looking fly Carl, as usual. Maybe this has been brought up before but, what for surface do you photograph your flies on? It's gorgeous! Reminds me of color case hardening used on some firearms.
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks, Carl. That's the first time I've seen reference to the "new" Pearsall's. I haven't heard any comparisons. It's probably my monitor, but the thread on this one looks more of a dark tan or light brown than the Orange usually does.
Bill, I was just too lazy/tired/ready to go to bed to look up the name, lol. I'll let you choose the reason that sounds best to you. :lol: I would have expected Langley's to have their own experts at any rate.

If I can ever teach myself that I don't have to use the entire feather on every fly, maybe I can tie like Carl when I grow up. :oops:

Kirk
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:22 am

I would say the thread color is more of an amber color on the Orange side. It did brown up a bit with the cobblers wax.

I photograph these on a couple different slate tiles I painted on. I just don't show the painting. They are pulled off the wall, photographed on then hung back up. :D
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:24 am

It's a great background for your photography. And I'm sure looks amazing on the wall. Very neat.