The Artistic Tyer Mark J Romero’s Rings

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

misakoflyfish

Artistic Tyer Mark J Romero’s Rings

Post by misakoflyfish » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:14 am

Hi all,
More than one year ago, Mark J Romero (Willowhead) passed away. His tying table is still the same and almost nothing has been changed in our house. He was an artist and lived his life for tying flies hoping fish are fine in the rivers and the oceans. This forum members were with him in his last some years. I knew when I heard his laugh from his tying room, he was typing “LOL” to you.
I visited this forum recently and found out that some of you are still thinking about him and remembering him. So I made this topic, “Artistic Tyer Mark J Romero’s Rings.” He left his rising rings here and they are still here. I would like to capture them. When you tye flies or fish, if you had some moments remembering Mark, please post here.
Hope that we will enjoy sharing them.
Tight lines and tight wraps,
misako ishimura  ~~~ < ' )、)))、 ><( ~~~~~
https://sites.google.com/site/misakoishimura/
Mataura mayfly

Re: Artistic Tyer Mark J Romero’s Rings

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:48 am

Misako, beautiful idea and a wonderful tribute to Mark.
Mark was one of the first (if indeed not the first) to welcome me once I joined up here after being a "lurker" for a while. We shared many a distance closing chat session (I was unaware of any illness) as Mark seemed to be online when I was. Most other American members were sleeping when I was online, a geographic thing.
Mark was the one that encouraged me to post photos of flies I had tied early on in the piece, I was not confident and could not hold a candle to his offerings, but through his somewhat frank and enthusiastic encouragement I began to post photos and patterns, thus becoming a more complete member of this forum. It still makes me laugh to look back on those crappy photos and the flies they depicted! But mark was always full of encouragement and advise, if I asked.
I believe my tying has got a little better, my photography a lot better, but the confidence to start sharing can be mainly attributed to Mark and then similar encouragements from other members once the ball was up and rolling.

I was lucky enough to have known the man, but not lucky enough to have met him in person. I would have liked to shake that hand.
I was also lucky enough to receive some rather neat hooks that had belonged to Mark (through another important member here) and have often picked the packets up, turned them around a few times, but tied on them only a couple of times. I feel I need to do the hooks the justice Mark would have. he would have said "they are meant to be used! You dig?", one day I hope to show some nice results on these hooks.

Is one tied on one of those hooks.

Mark J. Romero, often thought of, well missed, but never forgotten.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:21 am

Whenever I tie a fly Mark is right behind my shoulder, telling me that I could - and ought to - do it better. He is especially critical of how I form my heads. Recently, when I at last found Hard As Nails (without added nylon) he laughed and asked why it took me so long. I miss him, although he is still here.

dd
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:08 am

Misako ~ Your new thread topic is a fitting tribute to a fellow tyer who had much influence on many members of this forum. We all miss him and his marvelous creations, not to mention his colorful recollections of his prior life in the music business and the life-lessons he learned along the way. I, for one, will try to post something to this thread now and then to keep my memories of his wit and generosity fresh and alive. See you in Roscoe!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:41 am

Misako, it was so good to hear from you. Weird, I had just thought of Mark, and posted to a thread on steelhead flymphs. Then I came upon THIS MESSAGE. Mark was a night owl, as I am. He is the one who got me to join this forum. I still think of, and miss Mark. The mold was sure broken, when he was made, that is for sure. There is NOBODY even remotely like Mark. He was quite a character. He was a true artist, driven, in love with his craft. He was a true inspiration to me. I will always remember him with great fondness. I did have the pleasure of meeting you, and Mark, a few times. Mark showed me pics of some of your art work, and flies. I was truly amazed at how gifted you were as well. Mark loved this forum, and he got a great deal of joy from it. The people here are truly like family. I am so thankful Mark talked me into coming here. I will never forget Mark. What a guy!!
Otter

Post by Otter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Marks use of smilies is only exceeded by my use of cursing.

Mark, whatever Jazz club you are in now, ;) ;) :( :? ;) :cry: :oops: :mrgreen: :P have a beer on us. :D :D :D :D :cry: :cry: :cry: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :| :| :| :| :| 8-) 8-) 8-) :oops: :oops: :D bills covering the tab !!!! :mrgreen:
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:34 pm

I never had the distinct pleasure of meeting Mark in person, but I can't help but think he would be no different than he was on this forum. Every time I read one of his posts, I would smile. I've known only a few folks who could bring on a smile by just thinking of them, and Mark was certainly one of them. I got this fly from Mark through a swap on this forum, and have it displayed prominently over my tying desk, where it will stay as a reminder of one of the "good guys".
IMG_7491.JPG
IMG_7491.JPG (82.74 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:41 pm

This is so sweet, it really touches my heart. I think someone should make this topic into a sticky.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:52 pm

I still feel guilty about not taking one day off work to fish with Misa, and Mark on the Gunnison.

The fly Mark tied for me is above my fly desk as well.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:57 pm

I really miss our brother-in-arms. Thanks Misako for posting this. He is never far from our thoughts.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S