Deer Hair Emerger

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Deer Hair Emerger

Post by Old Hat » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:00 pm

I have been working on this pattern for a while. A couple years. Something with a little more buoyancy to stay low in the surface. It has worked well but a little tweaking here and there and fine tuning some points and this is version ....

I have been tying a lot of flies lately, trying to get boxes full. I was working on my Tenkara box and decided to try this pattern with more of a kebari twist to it. Low and behold, it is what this pattern needed to ride how I wanted.

The hackle lays forward a bit and comes in contact with the water like the insect's legs pushing through the film. The thorax is spun deer hair trimmed to an angle, short in the rear and long in the front. This helps to keep the hackle a forward. I used to just trim a small ball of hair behind the hackle. I also trimmed the bottom short and flat, somewhat even with the hook shank. With these adjustments the fly rides just the way I had envisioned this pattern when I started working on it. The rear of the fly body hangs lower, the thorax stays in the surface even if pushed under slightly it rides back up and the legs flow within and with the water surface (very lively when some movement is given to the water).

Going to put quite a few in different colors into the tenkara box starting with the ever popular orange, yellow and green. We'll see. I have a couple month's before trout season opens.

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Smuggler

Re: Deer Hair Emerger

Post by Smuggler » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 pm

That is very interesting. . I'd like to see how that rides in the film. That's awesome Carl.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Interesting design Carl. Makes me want to pull out my little viewing tank to see how these float. Do you recommend treating the deer hair with floatant before fishing?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
jong4029

Post by jong4029 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:31 am

We at my club have been trying a midge called a smoke jumper for the same principle. They use CDC puffs, but this looks like it would really stay in the surface. Looking forward to seeing how it works. We have a couple members getting into the Tenkara thing, so watching for that also.
Jon
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:40 am

I do believe the man is onto something here ...
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
novabass

Post by novabass » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:40 am

Great idea here! Nice looking fly Carl.
FrankenFly <--my website
Where fly tying comes to life!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:11 pm

Carl, I really like this a lot. It is nice to see a pattern so well designed. This is something to try myself. This is very thoughtful.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
redsedge

Post by redsedge » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Upon seeing the title to your post I expected to see some variation on Bob Wyatt's DHE, a fly with which I have had very little success - if the wing is tied too long the fly topples over, and I have had trouble keeping it afloat. I am quite intrigued by the design of your emerger with decidedly different use of the deer hair. Definitely going to tie some of these up. Thank you very much!
kacbo

Post by kacbo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Old Hat,

I'm gonna use that idea with deer hair! Like it a lot!