La Peute.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: La Peute.

Post by daringduffer » Sun May 17, 2015 12:39 pm

One more.

http://www.jpdessaigne.com/Lesemergente ... lette.html (Winged what?). Video.

dd

still straying
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun May 17, 2015 2:03 pm

daringduffer wrote: It seems as if the mallard hen is widely used in french fishing flies. I have read somewhere that the feathers from the area "at the waterline" is best for making wings. They should be "cupped" in a "desired way". Maybe Jeff can tell us if this is true.

dd
straying from focus
Indeed it is. Most of the body feathers (from just below the head on down to the tail)are cupped to some extent. It helps the feathers fit the profile of the "football" (gridiron/rugby ball- not soccer football) shaped body that lays underneath. The shape of the bird dictates the feather somewhat, so does the environment they call home, cupped repels water better. The feathers along the back of the bird tend to be flatter and water line is the most cupped. However when taking feathers from the flank area it is possible to find cupped but with a left/right bias, depending on the side of the bird they come from.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Mon May 18, 2015 8:44 am

His flies are really tidy, damn. Nice finds Stephan, thanks for posting these.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon May 18, 2015 10:08 am

If you start from here: http://www.jpdessaigne.com/Lesemergente ... /peuke.htm you can choose for example
Les mouches à saumon
You will receive this http://www.jpdessaigne.com/Lesmouchessa ... mmaire.htm and the dreaded 404 Not found. If you delete everything after the last slash in the address and click enter, you will come to the parent directory for his salmon flies. There you can choose any of his flies and, when opened, the next step is to open the .htm file. This will give you the step-by-step.

Following these instructions should make all his flies available, WETS, dries, nymphs etc.
Trial and error brought me there. It is often possible to navigate further on even when you receive the 404.

dd
weiliwen

Post by weiliwen » Mon May 18, 2015 10:45 am

Interesting: "La Peute" means "The Therapist."
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon May 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:. The shape of the bird dictates the feather somewhat, so does the environment they call home, cupped repels water better. The feathers along the back of the bird tend to be flatter and water line is the most cupped.
Thank you Mm. You are my expert on these birds. Do you use the hen as hackle in your own tying?

dd
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon May 18, 2015 3:11 pm

weiliwen wrote:Interesting: "La Peute" means "The Therapist."
I wish you could translate what he is saying on his videos. He is talking a lot.

dd
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon May 18, 2015 7:22 pm

dd, Howdy;

You can see the important parts, besides ... he is French after all ...
so he is probably talking to hear his own voice ... ;) , :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue May 19, 2015 12:30 am

I do.
Perhaps not as often as I should. The large size of the feathers usually leads to me looking at other birds for smaller sizes. There are some nice small feathers on the wings though and from the neck proper rather than the breast.
The trimming technique shown here is a good way to overcome the "too long" aspect of the breast feathers though.
I did send quite a few Mallard hen feathers to a guy in Holland that has been known to tie the odd fly or two, maybe he could share what he came up with. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.