Cinnamon Girl Soft Hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Cinnamon Girl Soft Hackle

Post by letumgo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:29 pm

Here are a couple more bodies I was playing around with today. Both of them are tyed with pale yellow silk dubbing. Changing the color of the Pearsall's Gossamer silk thread had a nice impact on the color of the body when it gets wet. You can play around with the combination of colors of the dubbing and the silk to match almost any natural insect.

(Light Olive Gossamer Silk)

and

(Antique Gold Gossamer Silk)

Mark - Orvis carries this dubbing. Unfortunately the silk dubbing is quite expensive ($3.95/pack). I had a coupon for Orvis, which was burning a whole in my pocket, so I bought all 13 colors. :lol:

That hydrophobic comment was what made me think the fly would naturally float if I used this dubbing. It was interesting to find out it would actually absorb the water. Now that I read Mike's comments, I realize that I did not wax my tying thread when dubbing the bodies of these flies. The silk dubbing is very whispy (ultra fine fibers) and it dubs fairly easily without the need for any wax. If I had used a dubbing wax these flies may have resisted absorbing the water and may then float in the surface film.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Niklas Dahlin

Re: Cinnamon Girl Soft Hackle

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:27 am

NIce work Ray.. keep it up