Aftershaft Partridge Egg (milky egg pattern)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Aftershaft Partridge Egg (milky egg pattern)

Post by letumgo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:47 pm

Aftershaft Partridge Egg
Hook - Partridge Patriot Czech Nymph Barbless Competition Hook (Size #10/formerly size 16)
Thread - 8/0 UNI-Thread (Red)
Tail - Partridge Rump Aftershaft Feather (Natural Grey)
Egg Body - Egg Yarn (Apricot or color of choice) - Formed in a dubbing loop. The red thread core forms an inner color element.
Hackle - Partridge Rump Feather (Natural Gray)
Head - Tying thread

I wanted a more lively egg pattern for steelhead fishing.  I created this pattern this morning and hope to get out to fish with it soon.  The tail is a patridge aftershaft plume, and the hackle is partridge flank (rump) feathers.  They are added to give the fly lots of delicate movement as it drifts along.  The pattern is intended to imitate the milky look of natural fertilized fish eggs.

TUTORIAL LINK: http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6623

Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Re: Aftershaft Partridge Egg (milky egg pattern)

Post by DUBBN » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:58 pm

It will certainly have movement. Very well done Ray.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:02 pm

Thanks Wayne.

fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:23 pm

Egg flymph/soft hackle :oops:
You're a brave man Ray, nicest looking egg fly I've ever seen but it's still an egg :? ;)
There was a running joke on my last trip where I carried a few egg patterns for the first time in my life. I couldn't bring myself to fish them, I know they work a treat but it just doesn't feel right. :D
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:44 pm

They are trout emergers.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:38 am

:lol: :D Good one Wayne.

Karsten - I hear ya bud. I usually dislike fishing egg patterns too, but on Saturday I had two guys out fish me with real egg sacks. I have fished one hole for around 30 minutes with no action, then these two float fisherman came in and made a few drifts right in front of me. They both hooked up immediately and harvested two nice fish out of the hole.

Anyway, the effectiveness of the egg sacks made me reconsider carrying a few egg patterns with me. I wanted something more mobile and "elegant" than a simple egg pattern. My pattern is intended to have more movement and hopefully draw the fishes attention, even though they lack the scent of real eggs. The aftershaft feather and rump hackle are very whispy-soft, to they should move around with the slightest current. If the movement of the aftershaft feather is to much, it can easily be plucked off in the field. Perhaps these will work, when desperation strikes me, and I succumb to the temptation to fish an egg pattern. I know they work. I've just always disliked tying and fishing simple egg patterns.

Ain't if funny how we each have our own "tastes" in fly fishing?

William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:47 am

Ray, I saw your tutorial on your Google+ page. Such a nice fly and sbs.

As long as your fishing egg patterns, maybe store them in egg juice? I know Eric keeps his San Juan worms with his night crawlers. :twisted:
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:57 pm

Ray, That is one classy looking egg pattern. If you want to catch fish, you have to offer them what they're eating. If they're eating PMD's we seem to have no trouble knotting a PMD imitation on our tippet, or a caddis pattern if they are sipping caddis, why not an egg, and an elegant egg pattern at that. Well done, Ray. Looking for the SBS.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:22 pm

William Anderson wrote:.......I know Eric keeps his San Juan worms with his night crawlers. :twisted:
When will he ever grow up and act responsibly??? :shock:

dd
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:10 pm

Ray, I just saw your tutorial on GOOGLE. Outstanding! I see the benefit in using the aftershaft with the Partridge feather it came with. That being said, if you get the urge, try the collar with a light Dun hen hackle. I have reason to believe it works on rather large Rainbow and Brown trout in my vicinity. ;-) Not nearly as elegant as your pattern though.