DOUGSDEN

My Latest Junk.....

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:29 pm

Bill's Beauties 077.JPG
Bill's Beauties 077.JPG (86.58 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
Bill's Beauties 075.JPG
Bill's Beauties 075.JPG (84.85 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
Good evening friends,
I was encouraged to post the latest junk from the den and I thought these looked worthy of the high bar set by the best flymph tyers in the world. It's your turn now to give your honest opinions on my work! I am looking forward to the good, the bad, and the ugly of it all so go ahead, push me thru the gauntlet!
Alli good fun of course!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
fly_fischa

Re: My Latest Junk.....

Post by fly_fischa » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:21 am

Hardly junk buddy, beautiful ties, I'd fish them in a heart beat. Btw are tandem hook soft hackle flies allowed on this forum? :P
K :D
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:45 am

Hi Doug,

You did a good job tying these flies, but even a better one with your pictures. Especially the first one, love it!!

Greeting from a sunny Netherlands

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:00 am

You are far too humble, friend Doug. Both your tying and camera skills are now easily the equal of those of the majority here, so there is no need to apologize. Just keep showing us your fine stuff, OK?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:30 am

Doug, you must be leaning over my shoulder, or I yours. I just tied up some tan flymphs with a grouse hackle. Not to match any particular caddis, but matches a lot of them, as yours do. Beautiful flies and top marks for pricking your finger for the sake of the photo. Very effective technique. :lol:
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:23 am

Dousden, Howdy;

Great way to wake up in the morning, as my coffee gets a hernia trying to pry
my eyes open the beautiful wee flymphs twinkling on my screen did the job in a
instant.
Thanks Doug.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:43 am

very nice looking flies, oh humble one.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:30 pm

Awesome manicure Doug! Never seen better, at least not on this forum. Btw, do you have other cool piercings too?

Your dressing of the junk is much appreciated.

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:19 pm

Show off! Tying two flies at the same time? No wonder you ended up with one stuck in you finger.

(kidding/all in good fun)

Great stuff Doug!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Dearest Friends,
You guys really make my day! No dear Daringduffer, no other piercings. Definately not into that! Just the occasional chemically sharpened point under the dermal layer! That's about as "pierced" as I wanna get!
To Karsten, Ruard, Bill, William, Hank, Zen, and Ray.....Thank you one and all for the kind and humorous words! I have been at my typically s-l-o-w pace in both production and photographing. I recently rec'd a great gift of hen necks and saddles and I have been experimenting with meaningfully joining dubbings and hackles together. I am still trying and it has been a blast in doing so! As I look back on the three amigo's above, they seem really over hackled and I think I know why. I was cursed with the "one more turn will look nice" approach and I have been guilty of this in the past. I think it comes from looking at the prepared feather and thinking, "I can't pare more of those beautiful barbs from the bottom of this exquisite feather! That would be a crime!" Conversley, I could stop a turn or two short of using the entire feather length (less the fluff at the bottom) for this would be the same! Hence, I end up with a huge hackle collar when I am consciously trying to keep things as tidy and sparse as possible. I think it's a terminal illness so if anyone could send me a pill for this condition, I would gladly take it!
I think I have failed to mention that these birds were dressed with the tie in the hackle at the butt of the stem and wind forward method. Sometimes I tie in the feather by the tip and do the same! Alot of it depends on the shape and condition of the feather at hand!
Has anyone else had similar thoughts along these lines?
Curious D.
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.