Pheasant Ostrich and Quail ("Hunting Dog")

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Pheasant Ostrich and Quail ("Hunting Dog")

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:00 pm

John,

Thanks for the links to the two articles. Very interesting reading. After looking these over, and looking at the up-side-down dry flies, I think part of the hook-up issue stems from the hook design and the way materials is tyed to the hook (possibly interfering with the hook set). I don't think this will be an issue with my fly, since it is tyed with soft materials (soft hackle and herl thorax). The materials are soft and small enough to not interfere with the hook gap. The final proof will come with field testing.

Ray
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:28 pm

Simply stunning results! All the way around, that fly will fish in so many ways! Easy to tweak with color changes to cover a range of critters! As I studied your pics, one came to mind!
Wondering if tied the same pattern, tied on DAIICHI 1270 curved nymph streamer (a few light wraps of lead in the thorax area?) in shades moving towards olive, would so well, work for dragonfly nymphs?

The greatness in a pattern rest not only in the original, but in how far, once learned, you can take that skill to fill your fly box with greatness!
Thank you so much for sharing this one!!
Flitrap....

"Tie one on.... "
Last edited by FliTrap on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:35 pm

:D

You are very welcome. I am happy to hear you liked the pattern, and are planning to adapt the pattern to make it your own. Go for it! The Daiichi 1270 is a nice hook, and the longer length would be very useful for a dragon fly/damsel imitation. Excellent idea. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:52 pm

Oh, and by the way.... I found that by putting a bit of off-set (turning the point out to the side, just a few degrees!) into the "Lightning Strike Scud/Emerger Hooks", it increased the hook-up rate! (an old trick from catfish rigging.....) It would also maybe cause a bit more flutter to the fly if it sinks...

FliTrap
Tie one on!
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:01 pm

Ray,
Forgive me please for not finding this post sooner! It is absolutely awesome! And, the comments, praises, great ideas, etc. that everyone has contributed is equally awesome! I esp. like the "tank" that you came up with and the great shots of the pattern as it took on a good soak! It took some time but while it was in the film, very buggy looking indeed. We fully expected to see and insect pop out of the nymphal skin and take flight! All around good post and as always, We would love to see more from your creative mind and skilled hands!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
REE04419

Post by REE04419 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:59 pm

Doug has no reason to apologize for finding this thread late. I, on the other hand, should offer profound apologies to Ray. So, Friend Ray, I apologize for finding this thread late, for not telling you sooner what a stunning fly it is, for not telling you how much I appreciate the thought and imagination you put into each new creation and lastly for stealing this pattern and filling a section of my fly box with it. Well done, Ray. (Dang, I did find it sooner, just so long ago I forgot. Everything else remains the same, I'm still stealing it.)
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:43 am

A very beautiful fish magnet! Your photography skills are top-notch too.

Thanks- Ken
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Ray
Your “dip tank” narrative is ASTOUNDING, to say the least-excellent work my friend!!!! :D

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:23 pm

Yes, great shots in the tank. It goes without saying the fly will break through the surface film much quicker in broken flowing water. But it will stay in the film long enough to fool a fish.
Once again great pictures.
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
NForkMo

Post by NForkMo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:16 am

Just came across this - The dog will hunt! I'll be tying some for the box.