Firecracker (BWO)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

skunkaroo

Firecracker (BWO)

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:30 am

Firecracker BWO

• Hook: Mustad R50 #18-14
  • Thread: Ginger 14/0
  • Hackle: Californian Quail (upper flank)
  • Body: Sparse Arizona Simi Seal - Golden Peacock spun in fine holographic rootbeer mylar tinsel (looped and corded)
The mylar spins surprisingly well. I looped it and sparsely distributed the fibres before spinning. I based this fly both on observations of BWO nymphs in the water and on photo's from an article on fishing in Cornwall featuring nymphs and their imitations. A tip of the hat to Hans' work with corded plastics for inspiration. It worked very well on the Elk River in BC during my practice sessions for the Canadian Nationals. I'm going to experiment with a similar body on true nymphs as well.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Hans Weilenmann

Re: Firecracker (BWO)

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:53 am

Nice one, Aaron. It has worked out pretty well!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Hans W
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:44 am

Aaron, that really is nice. Now and then I see that Calif Quail hackle come up and it reminds me that I should add that to my collection. At some point I'll do that. Nice fly.

W
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:10 am

A beautiful fly! I love the body coloration.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Nice fly Aaron. Join the club of plastic corded tyers :lol: And indeed thanks to Hans for the inspiration

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Hans Weilenmann wrote:It has worked out pretty well!
High praise indeed :lol:

Looking at it in the cold light of day and comparing it to the remaining originals I have, I realized that I should have spun the mylar just a touch less so as to allow more of the reflective surface to show. Still, I'm happy with the results.

William: the one drawback to the Quail is that it doesn't stand up well to repeated trout attacks. After 8 fish or so the fibres tend to look a bit thin and worn--a small price to pay for good fishing though. :D

Aaron
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Eight fish on a soft-hackle is plenty. I've had some last longer, but I think most game hackles get a bit sparse crossing the small teeth of trout. Of course, I end up leaving most of mine in trees before I get to an eight count. :D Someday I'll get it together.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:12 pm

My '8 fish' comment was really a tongue in cheek boast. Those numbers came in what could only be described as "stupid easy" water. A shoreside tongue of current trickled over a sudden subsurface shelf and the BWOs were gliding down it and into the mouths of perhaps 20-30 waiting cutthroat. Other flies took fish in the same water, but the soft hackle was the one that brought them to the surface consistently. The fish were taking the fly five to eight feet from my position and there was also unlimited back casting room. Beautiful conditions, but far from normal.

I used the fly in other locations and it did well providing you could find some sort of holding structure and the right water speed.

Aaron
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:53 pm

Beautiful fly and blend of materials.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean