Muskrat Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Muskrat Flymph

Post by Roadkill » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:58 am

Thanks letumgo!
Getting me to think yesterday about Rosborough's fuzzy nymphs and his Muskrat Nymph made me ponder a Flymph variation.
Here is my Muskrat Flymph...
Black thread on a Mustad 3906B #12 hook,
Muskrat and Beaver belly dubbing blend ribbed with a gold thread
Sharptail Grouse hackle
small Peacock herl from an eye quill twisted around the tying thread for a head

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Muskrat Flymph

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:10 pm

Bill,

This is a brilliant pattern. I can see a whole series of great choices when you worked out the combination of materials. The 3906B provides room to form the beautiful body. I love the look of the sharptail grouse hackle, with the muskrat fur body and herl head. The gold rib does such a nice job, segmenting the body.

Very well thought out. An instant classic.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:15 pm

Very creative, Bill. The peacock herl head is a nice touch. Roughing up that body even more with Velcro might provide an interesting result.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:36 pm

Ray,
The first two I tied this morning do not have the gold rib. I will finish up a set with and without the rib to fish , sometimes Bling is in & sometimes it is too much. The first two fly cast I use will have both flies to get out the fish votes. ;)

Bill,
This is tied with a single thread and loose dubbing twist around that. Generally fishing and casting will loosen and spread some of the fur fibers between the rib for that halo effect you are talking about. For the more dramatic look you describe I generally use a dubbing loop with the fur spread out from the thread twist and brush with a modified tooth brush.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Bill,
I love this. Grouse, peacock, muskrat—great combination of materials, masterfully tied.
Lance
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:29 pm

Bill, this certainly has that old school fuzzy nymph feel about it. It's a good pattern. I know my stuff tends to be on the truncated side, but most all of Rosborough's patterns tend to be much longer. Likely a product of his water, but it's something I should probably be looking at more.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:26 pm

I missed this somehow. Wonderful pattern Bill, should serve you very well. I haven't played a lot with the peacock head except on some older patterns that call for it. I probably should try it more.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Wow Bill,
This one is a beauty! Your tie provides all the classic ingredients (Lance said it so much better) put together extremely well and this one should knock'm dead on all levels! I can imagine our local sunfishes fighting over this one! That sharptail grouse is one good looking hackle! Keep up the good work!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:55 am

Bill, looks like a workhorse bait. Like the 3906B. Popular in the Northwest in the old days. Nice, when you want a longer body or more hook weight. Got a barb on it like the devil's tail, but pinches down to leave a useful fish-holding hump. Love the grouse hackle.

Steve
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:28 am

Good looking fly mph, that seems to have a lot in common with this one; http://www.flytierspage.com/bhaugh/byro ... hackle.htm

(Photo by Hans W).

Although both look good, you cannot, in my opinion, beat the vintage looks of natural materials.

dd