Turkey tail

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

UC Steve

Re: Turkey tail

Post by UC Steve » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:45 am

IMG_1881 (640x558).jpg
IMG_1881 (640x558).jpg (246.53 KiB) Viewed 6940 times
Here's a Knekestorparen tied with the buff tipped mottled brown secondary Gunnar Johnson describes. You don't find many of these on a turkey, with minimal to no black bar, so I save them for this pattern when I come across them.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:40 am

This has me intrigued, to say the least. Good stuff.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:29 am

Steve, that's a beautiful pattern. The versions I tied some time ago after seeing Stefan (daringduffer) tie his have a distinct white tag to a black body. I much prefer this more subtle variation. I tried to tie some of these and found my turkey tails were plentiful but any with this distinct top edge were gone. I'll have to find a few more. That's hard to believe if you could see the feathers in my space. I did manage a few black gnats with bodies twisted with Cardinal Pearsall's (darker than red, lighter then claret) and crow's wing, crow's tail, dyed pheasant tail and a couple with magpie tail. I don't know that I'll get pics of them but at some point I'll post them for comparison. Such a great fly.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:46 am

I like the looks of that also. It looks like a good all around early season pattern, and I also suspect it might work during a hatch of the early brown stonefly. Maybe worth a try with some glassier looking dun or dun grizzly hackle, too? Can we get a video of a native speaker pronouncing the name:)
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:14 am

You can do text to speech on this site which includes Swedish: http://www.acapela-group.com/ It obviously can't compare to an actual human voice.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:40 pm

UC Steve wrote:It might be fair to the Knekestorparen's originator to say that the original pattern actually calls for a mottled secondary with buff tip, not the black-banded primary shown here. The body of Knekestorparen is mottled brown with a buff tip.
Actually, and I may be wrong as I don't use a lot of turkey, but I believe the feather shown is not a secondary or primary but a tail feather.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the site, BIll. It ought to make for some interesting looks if anyone asks what I just hooked the fish on. BTW, I bought a couple tins of wax from Tenkarabum. I'm just starting to play with it, but it seems excellent. Thanks for making it available.
Carl, I also believe it is a tail feather pictured. I found a similar matched pair in my stash that I used for hopper wings and the like. It never occurred to me that the tip portion could be used, so they are unmolested, but won't be for long.
redsedge

Post by redsedge » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:24 pm

I have been most intrigued by this thread, especially Steve's comment that Johnson called for a "mottled secondary with buff tip, not the black banded primary shown here." Do turkey tails have secondaries?
Recently I was most generously given a copy of Gunnar Johnson's Med Fluga (With Fly) by Stefan (daring duffer.) I have been translating bits of it including a chapter entitled Three Favorites. Here is a pertinent passage:

"The second favorite, Knekestorparen, is named after a home water. It consists of only two materials in addition to hook and tying thread. The body is wrapped with a narrow section fibers from a dark brown turkey tail feather. These feathers have white tips. I bind the fibers with the white end at the hook bend and then wind forward. I get a dark body with white finish. This has the same function as the tip of the Black and Peacock. It gives the fish a point of reference for the take, the dark body is visible against a light background or the sky above the water surface, while the white part stands out against the dark background. Knekestorparen uses the same sparse hackle from a black chicken neck." (As the B&P, I assume.)

The passage was accompanied by an illustration of a slip just cut from the tip of a turkey feather which has a light tip followed by a black section which is the followed by a mottled section.
Steve, would you be able to post a picture of the feather you used to tie the fly? As I said, I am most intrigued.
Cheers,
Jim
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:34 am

turkey 014 (640x506).jpg
turkey 014 (640x506).jpg (208.08 KiB) Viewed 6801 times
Carl, of course it is a tail feather. By 'secondary', I mean a secondary tail feather taken from the base of the fan. When you buy turkey tail, you are usually getting tail primaries from the outer fan. The example came from a Merriam turkey that lived in the woods behind our place. There are a lot of them & roadkills are frequent. I am out of the prime feathers with no black bar, yet this example is perfectly good, & I would allow a feather showing a bit more of the dark bar. When twisted the bar shrinks to a color spot.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:54 am

turkey 006.JPG
turkey 006.JPG (155.03 KiB) Viewed 6802 times
Here is one twisted on brown thread. The feather I used is identical to the example I posted. As you can see, the barring is absorbed into the body. I also like this hackled with brahma hen. Above, when I say "no black bar", I mean no stand-out black band at the tip.

Here is the Swedish article on Knekestorparen. As described & illustrated (look closely), there is no discernible black band at the tip of the tail feather section being tied in. http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10469.htm