BWO Soft Hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

BWO Soft Hackle

Post by tie2fish » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:27 am

If one looks at the entire year and discounts "midges", the most prevalent bug on the waters I fish most often are small members of a group we collectively call Blue Wing Olives. Even in the dead of winter on crummy days, they show up long after the sulfurs and caddis flies have given it up for another year. For this reason, I think that a reasonable representation of this fly in a small size or two should be a constant companion in any serious fisherman's on-stream selection.

Hook: Mustad 94840, Size #20
Thread: Griffith's Sheer 16/0, grey
Hackle: Light blue dun hen
Abdomen: Stripped peacock herl from eye (missed barb pieces became visible only in macro)
Thorax: Peacock eye herl

Last edited by tie2fish on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: BWO Soft Hackle

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:03 pm

Bill - I plan to add a row of these to my soft hackle box. I will need to pull out my "helpers" (jewelers magnifying goggles) to do these right (size 20). Thank you for the inspiration. You da man!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Wish I was still in Montana; I'd be fishing this one on the Missouri. Beautiful fly.

Regards,
Scott
Premerger

Post by Premerger » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:37 pm

Nicely done Bill.
Making peacock herl look like plastic tubing in your photo, gives a good size comparison.
A good reason as well to leave tying tiny ones to you!
How hard can it be?
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:29 am

Thanks, gents.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:59 am

A good reason, as well, to leave tying tiny ones to [Mister Bill]!

Indeed. His eyes have about a quarter century on mine but seem to be better perceiving the Land of the Lilliputians.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:07 am

swellcat wrote:
A good reason, as well, to leave tying tiny ones to [Mister Bill]!

Indeed. His eyes have about a quarter century on mine but seem to be better perceiving the Land of the Lilliputians.
Cataract surgery and bifocals, Jeff ;)
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Bill, that one makes a lot of sense to me. Looks like it'll cover the spectrum of BWO species. Need to tie & try right away. Beautiful. Thanks.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:35 am

Wow Bill! Beautiful looking soft-hackle of the BWO persuasion! If you remember that in my neighborhood this past May and on into early June, we had a steady showing of BWO's that made their debuts' on our porch ceilings and vinyl sidings. I was always thrilled to see them around but never saw them hatching out on our ponds and streams! Yours is a classic for sure and in size 20! You are our hero for going down to size twenties! However you do it, they are exceptional and so beautiful to look at!
I think you should be a surgeon....
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:05 pm

Just beautiful Bill,
I love this patter, simple ingredients and masterfully tied as always. That fly would catch a ton of trout anywhere around the world. 20! That's about as small as I'll go, very impressive tying as always mate. You're a true inspiration to a lot of us Bill as a tier and a person, were blesssed to have u. I don't often take the time to post or comment but occasionally I've got to say what I feel and I admire and look forward to seeing each and every one of your posts.
Btw the macro revealing a few stray barbs that escaped stripping just add extra flavor ;)
Take care friend, K :)