Honey Dun and Peacock

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Honey Dun and Peacock

Post by William Anderson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:23 am

Another fly that's not pushing any boundaries, but certainly will hold a larger portion of my soft-hackle box this year based on last year's outings. I love love love this honey dun hen hackle, not only for this pattern but for several other patterns. I bought this cape and a dozen others over the past few years from a guy who goes by Krosch Hackle Farm. He's a grower in the US and has some of the nicest, webby capes I've seen. Both of these hackles, the darker honey dun and the more ginger, are from his stock.

The Dun Hackles. These have a nice honey tip but a broad webby medium dun list.

The Red Hackle or rather, pale ginger. I love this one.

And this one with the starling hackle and the broken rib. I kind of liked the little tinsel tail so...so be it.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Re: Honey Dun and Peacock

Post by tie2fish » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:32 pm

More delicious stuff from your fertile mind, William. I really like the Red Hackle 2 best of the lot, but wouldn't hesitate to fish any of them.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:48 pm

Sweet flies William. Stock up your fly box, so I can bum some off you :twisted: :D ;)

Gotta love honeybun hackle...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks, fellas. I simply cannot wait to fish these flies. I used to tie flies with the expectation of giving a bunch away, but each year I tie more and more hoping to have a few left over when the sharing starts. I hate to be on the short end of the generosity with the caliber of people I get to fish with. I am truly fortunate.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Premerger

Post by Premerger » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:26 pm

Nice work William.
The gold rib and tag look nice on the nickel hook.
You've made a lovely job of the starling hackle too.
How hard can it be?
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:56 pm

William,
Don't make me pick a favorite....please, no....alright! The very last one, starling and peacock! The material choices, the hook choice, the excellent way in which it's put together, the photography, gosh....what's not to love! I love them all W. but the s. and p. really cranks my handle as far a fish getter!
They are all beautiful examples of your awesome abilities and your "if I can think it, I can do it" persona that sets you apart! Please keep feeding us!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:12 pm

That pale ginger one is MONEY!
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com