Hare's Ear and Plover

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Theroe

Re: Hare's Ear and Plover

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:51 am

narco / tie2fish

is this a good quality GP skin for me to buy? I realize you cant tell much from a photo, but is this sorta what they SHOULD look like???

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:15 am

It's a little hard to tell, Dana, if the neck area is just ruffled up a bit or whether some of the choice feathers from this area (my favorite spot on the skin) have been plucked. But even if some are missing, there are a lot left and they look to be in good shape. It's been several years since I scored my last plover skin, but given the current scarcity I'd say there are maybe $60.00 worth left for someone not pressed for cash. Plover skins from Cookshill, when available, are currently priced at 40 British pounds, which translate to roughly $53 today.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:45 am

If you check closed auctions by this seller you will see that this is a stock picture and not the skin you will receive.Also that skins go in the 70 ++ dollar range. His feedback is very good.I took a chance on his last auction and won at 73 dollars.I am awaiting delivery now.Did receive an excellent snipe and magpie skin from Cookshills.Very nice quality and not a lot of money.Also got a beautiful set of waterhen wings
and partridge skin from another UK E bay seller Excellent quality and again not a lot of money.

Tom :ugeek:
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:54 am

Thank you for the input gentlemen-it will certainly help me make a good decision.

Theroe
Soft and wet - the only way....
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 am

Great tie Bill. I think I prefer this version to the first one.

I do have a question though that is attached with a little debate.

When did "palmer through thorax" become "Fymph Style" I am not sure that is a completely accurate distinction.

Based on duffer's description we could just as easily say " in John Robert's Style", but that would probably not be an accurate distinction as well.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:15 am

Old Hat wrote:
When did "palmer through thorax" become "Flymph Style" I am not sure that is a completely accurate distinction.
To me "flymph style" means that the hackle feather was tied in by the stem before the rest of the fly was constructed. After the thorax was added, the hackle feather was wrapped "backwards" through the thorax where it was caught with the tying thread. The tying thread was then brought forward through the hackle in two wraps before forming a head and being tied off in front of the hackle.

I do understand that this sequence is not unique to what I believe Pete Hidy often used and apologize for implying that. Any future recipes posted by me will use generic terminology only. :|
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:43 am

Here we have a Hare Lug and Plover tied by Roy Christie according to the site where I found it. http://www.swedneckflyfishing.com/classicwet2007.htm

As with other flies, there are a lot of interpretations.

dd
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 pm

Bill, part generalities and part my misinterpretation. I assumed initially that you were referring to the appearance of the open palmer employed not the method in your recipe. Thank you for clarifying.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:27 pm