Smoke Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Smoke Fly

Post by tie2fish » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:22 am

Even though I am not able to fish as often as I used to, I still enjoy locating and tying flies that I would like to try if I get the chance. Browsing through Robert Smith's book North Country Flies, I came across a pattern called the Smoke Fly that I also saw not long ago on Alan Petrucci's "Small Stream Reflections" blog. Since Alan reported that this fly seems nearly irresistible to brook trout, I decided to add it to my arsenal.

In the Smith book, this fly appears as Pattern #40 in a tabulation of seasonable flies compiled by Sylvester Lister and published in 1898. Lister's notation says: "May be used all through the season, particularly on bright days". Although a quick search of the internet reveals that some modern versions include red silk tags or ribs or silver tinsel ribs, my version conforms to the older, probably original recipe with no tag or rib.

Hook: Size #14 or #16
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer #8 purple
Hackle: Light dun or cream hen
Body: Peacock herl
Head Peacock herl

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
SenecaLaker

Re: Smoke Fly

Post by SenecaLaker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Bill, that's a great tie for sure. I saw the same post I believe.

Dave
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:20 pm

tie2fish, Howdy;

Beautiful fly (as usual ;) ), I'd like to ask as it appears that you may have twisted the Hurl on to the tieing
thread before winding forward is that how you went about it or a different method? Always have a spare
question in my hip pocket.

Thanks.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Hank ~ Below is how I tied it, although this may not be how others would do it. When I tie for my own use durability is not a primary concern. If I were tying for someone else, I would definitely reinforce the herl with the thread one way or another.

~ Start thread behind eye and wrap back approximately 25% of shank length; tie in hackle by tip, concave side up, with stem pointing forward out over hook eye.

~ Take thread back to above barb and tie two matching strands of herl in together near their small ends; trim excess small ends; take thread forward to hang directly behind hackle tie-in point.

~ Wrap herl strands forward together and tie off immediately behind hackle with final thread wrap passing under and up in front of hackle and hanging directly in front of it; do not trim herl excess.

~ Wrap hackle (two turns is sufficient), tie off and trim excess; use a couple of thread wraps to trap remaining herl strands together against the front of the hackle collar, then wrap thread forward to hang behind hook eye.

Wrap herl strands forward together to behind eye, tie off, trim excess, whip finish and trim thread.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:58 pm

It’s a great Fly, but given how fragile peacock herl is I wouldn’t expect the fly to last more than one fish. I suggest that ribbing with gold, silver or copper wire would make for a far stronger fly or coat the hook shank with super glue or head cement immediately before wrapping the twisted herl forward. I personally would go for head cement in order to be as “Classic “ as possible.
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Superb. I love posts like this. Historical reference material and discussion of the tying techniques.

Good stuff!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:53 pm

tie2fish, Howdy;

Bill, thanks for the directions and the difference between one for me one for you
concept. Reason I first asked is because I thought I could detect some purple tint
between the hurl wraps suggesting you may have twisted the hurl and thread when
you wound them forward. Curious mind ... :roll:
Thanks again.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am

Bill, that fly is sweet. I found another version tied by Robert Smith, whoever he is :twisted:

http://www.northcountryflies.com/shop/smoke-fly/

I've seen versions with smaller heads too.

dd
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Guys, it’s still a gut punch to know all my past images are missing from the forum, but this post holds so much hope for this forum. Fantastic. Such a beautiful pattern, rooted in our heritage and begging to be fished ASAP. Wonderful thread, Bill.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Probably one of my favorite patterns. A phenomenal fly for Tricos as well as Olives.

Bill, your exceptional skills are on display with this one! Thanks for sharing.